Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1774 Mexico Gold 8 Escudo NGC AU55
- The 8 Escudos – the largest Legal Tender gold coin in circulation in the U.S. prior to the $20 gold.
- According to the NGC population report, only 4 total specimenshave been graded. This coin is TIED WITH ONE OTHER AS THE SINGLE HIGHEST GRADED AND FINEST KNOWN at NGC.
- The 1774 has always been very elusive and sought after by collectors. In this year trouble was brewing in the American Colonies.
- Sharply struck with full mint luster this piece is an exceptional example of a scarce date.
- This coin was struck at the Mexico City Mint (Mo mintmark), the oldest Mint in North America. The obverse features the bust of King Carlos III.
IN THE U.S. IN 1774: As the tension between the 13 Colonies and Great Britain heightens and war is becoming more of a reality, the First Continental Congress meets in Philadelphia in 1774. Members include Samuel Adams, John Adams, Patrick Henry and George Washington.
|Year of Issue||1774|