Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1849 $10 Gold Liberty 1 Over 1 Overdate VP-003 NGC AU55
Gold Rush $10 Liberty Overdate
By 1849, the California Gold Rush was in full swing, with prospectors from around the nation heading to the West in search of their fortune. Gold began to flow into the branches of the U.S. Mint, where coins like this $10 Gold Liberty were struck. However, the minters must not have been particularly satisfied with the striking of this coin, and the number “1” at the start of the date was boldly restruck, resulting in a small number of “1 over 1” overdate coins.
Of a small original mintage of just 653,618 coins, only 15 of these overdate varieties, known as VP-003, have been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC). Of those 15, just one grades higher than the coin we’re offering here! The Smithsonian® holds an 1849 $10 Gold Liberty in About Uncirculated-58 (AU58) condition – but that coin is not of this particular variety.
You can secure this coin – one of just 15 known to exist and second-best known in the world – in About Uncirculated-55 (AU55) condition. Bring home Gold Rush history and secure it for your collection today!
- UNUSUAL OVERDATE VARIETY – This is a unique overstrike variety where the number “1” in the date was re-punched resulting in a bold base for the numeral.
- POPULAR GOBRECHT DESIGN – Designed by Christian Gobrecht, the $10 Gold Liberty Head circulated from 1839-1907. It was replaced by the famous Saint-Gaudens Gold Eagle first struck in 1907. This $10 Gold Liberty from 1849 was struck with gold from the famous California Gold Rush.
- STRUCK IN FINE GOLD – The 1849 Gold Liberty $10 Eagle coin was struck in 16.718 grams of 90% fine gold.
- TURN OF THE CENTURY LEGAL TENDER – the 1849 Gold Liberty was ten dollars legal tender!
- HIGH-GRADE UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 1849 $10 Liberty 1 Over 1 Overdate VP-003 has been certified, graded and encapsulated by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in About Uncirculated-55 (AU55) condition – the second finest known specimen known for this coin!
Don’t miss your chance to add this historic and unique museum-quality gold coin to your collection. Click it to your cart right now!
|Year of Issue||1849|
|Condition||Graded, About Uncirculated|
|Mint Name||U.S. Mint|
|Coin Weight||16.718 Grams - g|