Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1878 Silver Morgan Dollar Pattern Judd-1550a NGC PF65
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $21,900.00 $21,253.95
$5,475.00 / month
1878 Morgan Pattern—Approximately 17 Struck!
The U.S. Mint has struck some of the most beautiful coins in history, and much of that success is owed to the practice of striking pattern coins.
Struck exclusively at the “Mother Mint” in Philadelphia, patterns are essentially the “test drive” of a new coin. The U.S. Mint will experiment with a variety of metals and/or designs to ensure that striking will go smoothly and the final product will live up to the U.S. Mint’s reputation.
Take this pattern coin struck for the 1878 Morgan Silver Dollar, for example. One of an estimated 17 struck, it features a noticeably different neck and wing design on the reverse eagle, and an olive branch with only three leaves. An incredible piece of U.S. history, this pattern is one of only eight graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in Proof condition. In fact, this coin has been graded as being in Proof-65 (PF65) condition, tying for finest-graded specimen known to exist!
From a collector standpoint, pattern coins give us a glimpse at “what might have been,” in regards to some of our favorite series. For the U.S. Mint, which often strikes patterns in Proof condition, the coins offer a chance to refine their craft and, in the case of many patterns, create unique gifts that can be presented to high-ranking public officials or visiting dignitaries.
Make it the pinnacle of your Morgan collection and order now!
- UNIQUE PATTERN COIN – Designed by U.S. Mint Engraver George T. Morgan, this rare pattern coin features a design similar to that of Morgan’s famous Morgan Silver Dollar but shows a noticeably different neck and wing design on the eagle depicted on the reverse an olive branch with only three leaves as opposed to the nine leaves on the final version. This remarkable pattern coin was struck in copper with a reeded edge. A pattern coin is basically a test piece struck to evaluate the coin’s design. They are often struck in off-metals to proof standards and not approved for release.
- RARE AND HARD-TO-FIND COIN – The U.S. Mint strikes many pattern coins. Most never see the light of day, however, and are often destroyed. Those pieces that do escape are among the most sought-after coins by collectors.
- LISTED IN JUDD PATTERN GUIDE – Your coin is listed as pattern Judd-1550a (J-1550a) in the comprehensive “United States Pattern Coins” by Dr. J. Hewitt Judd, and updated by Q. David Bowers America’s leading numismatic expert.
- GRADED IN GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 1878 $1 Silver Morgan Pattern has been certified and graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in Proof-65 (PF65) condition, meaning it is a very well-struck proof.
|Year of Issue||1878|
|Mint Name||U.S. Mint|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|