Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1881-S Morgan Silver Dollar NGC MS67
Less Than 1% of the “Best-Struck Morgans” Are Graded This Fine
Numismatists have long recognized that the Morgan Silver Dollars produced at the San Francisco Mint between 1878 and 1882 are among the highest-quality Morgans found anywhere. The artisans at the mint seemed to have discovered the “secret sauce” for the popular silver dollar – a combination of the best dies, best-prepared planchets and the innate ability to apply just the right amount of pressure when striking the coins. The result is sparkling sharp silver dollars with crisp designs and blazing mint luster – just the way designer George T. Morgan envisioned them.
To many numismatists, it didn’t get better than the 1881-S Morgan Silver Dollar. Often considered the best-struck Morgan of the entire series, the bold strikes, booming luster and overall terrific eye appeal of this key-date coin makes it a centerpiece of many Morgan and vintage Silver Dollar collections.
Among all Morgans, the best are always those that stand out, and according to current Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) population reports, out of the 3.33 million Morgan Silver Dollars that have been submitted for grading, a mere 17,938 have come back with a grade of Mint State-67 (MS67) or higher. That’s less than one percent of all Morgans submitted! Not only did we manage to secure one of those coveted “top 1%” Morgans, but it’s a top-tier 1881-S Morgan! Become the envy of your fellow Morgan collectors and secure this Superb Gem MS67 piece for your collection today.
- AMERICA’S MOST POPULAR COIN – The Morgan Silver Dollar – so named for its designer, U.S. Mint Assistant Engraver George T. Morgan – has stood the test of time. Struck from 1878-1904 and again in 1921, it was the coin of America’s “Wild West” and jingled in the coin purses of gamblers, gunfighters, soldiers and dance hall girls.
- BIG SILVER COINS – Struck in 26.73 grams of 90% silver, the Morgan Silver Dollar is a big coin 38.1 mm in diameter. When this coin was plunked down on a counter, its weight meant real money, pure and simple.
- CLASSIC DESIGNS – Morgan’s historic design depicts a profile of Lady Liberty on the obverse while the reverse features an eagle with outstretched wings. The model used for Liberty was Miss Anna Williams of Philadelphia, who Morgan declared to have the most perfect feminine profile he had ever seen.
- COMES IN SUPERB GEM UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – This 1881-S $1 Morgan has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in Superb Gem Mint State-67 (MS67) condition, meaning that it is a high-grade coin with a sharp strike and full original luster as crisp and fresh as the day it left the San Francisco Mint more than 135 years ago!
- TOP-TIER MORGAN – This Morgan Silver Dollar is among the top 1% of graded Morgans according to the NGC’s current population report.
- THE CASE OF THE DISAPPEARING MORGANS – While millions of Morgan Silver Dollars were struck from 1878 through 1921, massive silver meltings and the ravages of time have taken their toll. Today coin experts believe that only 15% of all Morgans ever struck remain in existence – and fewer still remain in Choice Uncirculated condition!
A coin this nice will not last for long. Secure this 1881-S Morgan Silver Dollar in Superb Gem Mint State-67 condition now while you still can!
|Year of Issue||1881|
|Mint Name||San Francisco - S|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|