Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1888-O Morgan Silver Dollar Great Southern Hoard NGC MS63
A Stunning Morgan Silver Dollar from the Great Southern Treasury Hoard!
Finding a secret hoard of Morgan Silver Dollars doesn’t happen very often, but when it does collectors are always keen to get their hands them. For such a hoard to exist today, someone would have had to have obtained these coins during the Treasury Hoard release of the early 1960s and then miraculously left them untouched for more than 50 years. And that’s just what happened with this newly discovered stash of coins that has been hailed as The Great Southern Treasury Hoard!
Consisting of 13,000 vintage U.S. Morgan Silver Dollars, the collection was amassed by a single man bent on stockpiling cold hard currency as a hedge against financial ruin. Raised during the Great Depression, this individual not only survived America’s worst economic crisis, he also suffered from diabetes, an illness that in the 1930s and ’40s was tantamount to a death sentence. Somehow the boy not only survived but became a physician. As he grew older, the fear of another financial catastrophe never left his mind. To avoid future calamity, he amassed this enormous hoard.
As it turned out, each and every one of these Morgans was struck at the famous New Orleans Mint. The New Orleans Mint is the only U.S. branch mint to have served under three governing bodies: The United States of America, the State of Louisiana and the Confederate States of America. Each also features the instantly recognizable “O” mint mark.
When this man passed away recently, his family decided to honor his legacy by making these coins available to an eager public. Now you can own a piece of the incredible Great Southern Treasury Hoard with this key-date 1888-O Morgan Silver Dollar. Not only has this coin been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in stunning Choice Uncirculated Mint State-63 (MS63) condition, but NGC has also sealed it in a protective coin capsule and added a special pedigreed label certifying that it hails from the famous Great Southern Treasury Hoard.
Get your piece of the Great Southern Treasury Hoard of Morgan Silver Dollars from the original U.S. Treasury Hoard. Add this 1888-O Morgan Silver Dollar to your cart right now!
- THE GREAT SOUTHERN TREASURY HOARD – This coin hails from the massive Great Southern Treasury Hoard. The hoard consisted 13,000 Morgan Silver Dollars acquired during the Treasury Hoard releases of the early 1960s. This collection was amassed by a man bent on stockpiling cold hard currency as a hedge against financial ruin and all the coins in his collection were struck the nation’s southern mint in New Orleans.
- AMERICA’S MOST POPULAR COIN – The Morgan Silver Dollar – so named for its designer, U.S. Mint Assistant Engraver George T. Morgan – has stood the test of time. Struck from 1878-1904 and again in 1921, it was the coin of America’s “Wild West” and jingled in the coin purses of gamblers, gunfighters, soldiers and dance hall girls.
- CLASSIC DESIGNS – Morgan’s historic design depicts a profile of Lady Liberty on the obverse while the reverse features an eagle with outstretched wings. The model used for Liberty was Miss Anna Williams of Philadelphia, who Morgan declared to have the most perfect feminine profile he had ever seen.
- STRUCK IN GLEAMING AMERICAN SILVER – Struck in 26.73 grams of 90% silver from the famous Comstock Lode, the Morgan Silver Dollar is a big coin 38.1 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL TENDER SILVER DOLLAR – Morgans were $1 legal tender and struck during the heyday of America’s Wild West era where coins were overwhelmingly preferred over paper currency.
- HIGH-GRADE UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – This 1888-O $1 Morgan has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in Choice Uncirculated Mint State-63 (MS63) condition, meaning that it is a high-grade coin that is as crisp and fresh as the day it left the New Orleans Mint more than 130 years ago.
- SPECIAL PEDIGREED LABEL – Your coin will be encapsulated in an acrylic coin holder with a special “Great Southern Treasury Hoard” label.
- THE CASE OF THE DISAPPEARING MORGANS – While millions of Morgan Silver Dollars were struck from 1878 through 1921, massive silver meltings and the ravages of time have taken their toll. Today coin experts believe that only 15% of all Morgans ever struck remain in existence!
Get a piece of the Great Southern Treasury Hoard of Morgan Silver Dollars from the original U.S. Treasury Hoard with this 1888-O Morgan in high-grade Mint State-63 condition and pedigreed by NGC as being from this amazing hoard!
|Year of Issue||1888|
|Pedigree||Great Southern Treasury Hoard|
|Mint Name||New Orleans - O|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|