Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1889 Morgan Silver Dollar VAM 18A New York Bank Hoard NGC MS64
Wham, Bam, Thank You, VAM! A Unique Die Variety from the New York Bank Hoard!
During the release of the Great Treasury Hoard in the 1960s, a numismatic broker in Brooklyn acquired a sizable number of unopened bags of Morgan Silver Dollars, 16 of which were sold to an unnamed individual who worked on Wall Street. The bags were placed into a vault, and the owner walked away. For one of the first times in history, a modern find of unopened bags of Morgans could be traced back to, and certified as coming from, the Great Treasury Hoard!
After years of paying the monthly vault fee, the family of the Wall Street employee finally decided to open the vault and sell the coins. With the help of leading coin experts, they opened the bags and examined their contents – which the experts have since estimated at being worth between $1 million and $1.5 million!
Now you have the chance to not only secure a piece of this marvelous hoard, but you can obtain a Morgan Silver Dollar with a unique VAM die variety. What is a VAM? The term “VAM” refers to the initials created by Leroy C. Van and A. George Mallis, who co-authored The Comprehensive catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars which lists every die variety of each coin currently identified. Each VAM has been assigned a number used to identify its listing in Van Allen and Mallis’ work.
The VAM variety available in this offer is an 1889 VAM 18A “Doubled Ear” Morgan with a doubled die seen in and around the ear. In addition to its unique die variety, this coin has also been certified and graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation as being in Choice Uncirculated Mint State-64 (MS64) condition and sealed it a protective coin capsule with a special pedigreed label certifying that it hails from the famous New York Bank Hoard of U.S. Treasury Hoard Morgan Silver Dollars. As an added bonus, you’ll also receive a book about Morgan Dollars and booklets about the New York Hoard and the Treasury Hoard release.
There were only 54 VAM 18A Morgan Silver Dollars found in the New York Bank Hoard, and we believe these are the only VAMs of their type from ANY group of Treasury Hoard Morgans. Hurry and secure yours now!
- COIN FROM THE MASSIVE NEW YORK BANK HOARD – This coin hails from the massive New York Bank Hoard. The hoard consisted of sixteen 1,000-coin bags of Morgan Silver Dollars acquired during the Treasury Hoard releases of the early 1960s. The owner of the hoard worked in New York City’s financial district and he purchased the coins from a Brooklyn coin dealer. The hoard’s original owner was an immigrant who grew up during the Great Depression and valued physical money. His family decided to sell the coins rather than continue paying an $800-per-month bank vault storage fee.
- STRUCK IN GLEAMING AMERICAN SILVER – Morgan Silver Dollars were struck in 26.73 grams of 90% silver from the famous Comstock Lode and measure 38.1 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL TENDER SILVER DOLLAR – Morgans were $1 legal tender and struck during the heyday of America’s Wild West era where coins were overwhelmingly preferred over paper currency.
- COMES IN HIGH-GRADE UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – This 1889-P $1 Morgan has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in Choice Uncirculated Mint State-64 (MS64) condition, meaning that it is a high-grade coin that is as crisp and fresh as the day it left the Philadelphia Mint more than 130 years ago!
- SPECIAL PEDIGREED LABEL – Your coin will be encapsulated in an acrylic coin holder with a special “New York Bank Hoard” label that also notes the coin hails “From U.S. Treasury Bag” attesting it originated from the from the famous U.S. Treasury Hoard.
- THE CASE OF THE DISAPPEARING MORGANS – While millions of Morgan Silver Dollars were struck from 1878 through 1921, massive silver meltings and the ravages of time have taken their toll. Today coin experts believe that only 15% of all Morgans ever struck remain in existence – and fewer still remain in Choice Uncirculated condition!
Get a piece of the New York Bank Hoard of Morgan Silver Dollars from the original U.S. Treasury Hoard with this unique VAM 18A “Doubled Ear” die variety. Availability is extremely limited so reserve yours now!
|Year of Issue||1889|
|Mint Name||Philadelphia - P|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|
|Weight||3/4 Ounce - oz|