Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1897-S Morgan Silver Dollar NGC or PCGS MS63
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $199.00 $193.13
$99.50 / month
A Morgan from the Heyday of the Gay Nineties
The Gay Nineties was the last decade of America’s Gilded Age, an exciting era before the Turn of the Century. The peak of that halcyon age was 1897. President William McKinley was sworn into office, the Klondike Gold Rush attracted thousands of prospectors north to Canada’s Yukon Territory, and The Sun newspaper in New York City proclaimed, “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.”
1897 also marked one of the final years that the U.S. Mint released Morgan Silver Dollars – among the most sought-after collector coins in America. Struck from silver mined from the legendary Comstock Lode, these 90% silver coins are becoming harder and harder to find today. These 1897-S Morgans are a perfect example. The combination of this date and mint mark is extremely hard to find on a Morgan Silver Dollar, partly because of mass meltings, and partly because many were immediately released into circulation. In fact, it’s estimated that as little as 15% of all Morgans still exist in any condition!
That’s why this coin is so impressive, graded as being in incredible Mint State-63 (MS63) condition by either the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) or Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) – the country’s leading third-party grading services. Combine that with its place in history and you have a piece of America’s past you can’t afford to miss! Add it to your cart today! Grading service varies.
- AMERICA’S MOST POPULAR AND COLLECTED COIN – Designed by U.S. Mint Engraver George T. Morgan, the Morgan Silver Dollar was struck from 1878 to 1904 and again in 1921. Today it is one of the most popular and heavily collected of all United States coins.
- STRUCK IN FINE AMERICAN SILVER – Morgan Silver Dollars were struck in 26.73 grams of 90% silver – fine American silver mined from the famous Comstock Lode in Nevada.
- LEGAL TENDER AMERICAN COINAGE – Each Morgan Silver Dollar was one dollar legal tender.
- INCREDIBLE UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 1897-S Morgan Silver Dollar comes certified and graded by either the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) or the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) as being in Mint State-63 (MS63) condition.
- THE CASE OF THE DISAPPEARING MORGAN – Despite millions of Morgan Silver Dollars being struck from 1878-1921, most were lost in circulation or melted down in mass silver meltings. In fact, coin experts believe that only 15% of all Morgans ever struck remain in existence today.
|Year of Issue||1897|
|Mint Name||San Francisco - S|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|