Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1922-P Peace Dollar NGC MS64 Smithsonian Coin Classics
First-Year-of-Issue 1922 “Low Relief” Peace Dollar
Following the unprecedented success of the Morgan Silver Dollar, the bar was set high for the artisans at the U.S. Mint to establish a new silver dollar that would not only celebrate the peace established at the end of World War I, but also capture the hearts of collectors worldwide. They met the challenge with the Peace Silver Dollar, but the Mint’s first attempt at the coin – a “high-relief” version that was difficult to accurately strike – proved ultimately unworkable. The Mint shifted gears in 1922 and introduced a “low-relief" version of the coin. For the next decade and more, these coins would reintroduce silver dollars to the U.S. economy, and symbolize the peace and prosperity of the Roaring Twenties.
Today those coins can be challenging to find in higher grades – especially since coin experts estimated that only 16% of all Peace Dollars ever struck still exist today in any condition! That’s why we were so excited to find a hoard of these first-ever low-relief 1992 Peace Silver Dollars in uncirculated, high-grade condition. In fact, these coins are so sharp that each has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in Choice Uncirculated Mint State-64 (MS64) condition with only minor detracting marks!
The design of the Peace Dollar is iconic – appropriate for such an important coin. Designed by 34-year-old Italian-American sculptor Anthony de Francisci, its obverse features the head of Lady Liberty wearing a crown of rays modeled after the design of the Statue of Liberty. The model for Lady Liberty was 23-year-old Teresa Cafarelli de Francisci, the young sculptor’s wife. Imprinted on the coin’s obverse are “LIBERTY,” “IN GOD WE TRUST,” and the year of issue. The reverse features an eagle at rest clutching an olive branch before a rising sun, along with the inscriptions “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM” and the denomination “ONE DOLLAR.”
This nearly pristine key-date Peace Silver Dollar also comes sonically sealed in an acrylic Story Vault coin holder and encapsulated with a Smithsonian® Coin Classics label. It’s a beautiful presentation that you’ll be proud to display to friends and pass along to future generations.
Every committed coin collector should own one, if not ALL of America’s Peace Dollars – and the perfect place to start or add to your Peace Dollar collection is with this 1922-P Peace Silver Dollar – a key-date release available now in exceptional condition. Reserve yours today!
- FIRST LOW-RELIEF PEACE DOLLAR – When it was first issued in 1921, America’s Peace Silver Dollar was struck in high relief as a commemorative coin. The high relief caused problems on the coining presses and bankers complained they didn’t stack properly. The U.S. Mint altered the coin beginning in 1922 with these “low relief” coins.
- A BEAUTIFUL COIN RICH IN SYMBOLISM – The Peace Dollar is a true American symbol of peace. Fascinated by the Statue of Liberty, designer Anthony De Francisci's obverse presents Lady Liberty wearing a crown of rays, like that on the Statue of Liberty. The reverse features an eagle holding the olive branches of peace, rather than the typical olive branches and arrows of war.
- AN ECONOMICAL WAY TO START YOUR PEACE DOLLAR COLLECTION – “Firsts” are perennial favorites for collectors, and first-year-of-issue 1922 “Low Relief” Peace Dollars are always popular. In fact, acquiring this coin in just one or two grades higher can cost hundreds more. This coin represents an economical way to start or add to your collection.
- STRUCK IN GLEAMING SILVER – Each Peace Silver Dollar was struck in 26.73 grams of 90% fine silver and measures 38.1 mm in diameter.
- UNCIRCULATED, HIGH QUALITY CONDITION – You 1922-P Peace Silver Dollar has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in Choice Uncirculated Mint State-64 (MS64) condition.
Here’s your chance to begin or add to your Peace Silver Dollar collection with the first “low relief” coin from 1922 graded by NGC in Choice Uncirculated Mint State-64 (MS64) condition! Click it to your cart today!
|Year of Issue||1922|
|Mint Name||Philadelphia - P|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|