Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1953 - 1966 Panama Silver 1 Balboa AU/BU 2pc Set
A Scarce Set that Honors a Key Figure in Central American History
Here at GovMint, we have the pleasure of working with coins from around the world, some of which are hundreds, even thousands, of years old. Given that experience, it is tough to floor us, but that is just what one Floridian recently did. He walked into our office with the biggest hoard of Panamanian Balboas we’ve ever seen! Numbering nearly 800 pieces in total, these are the first Balboa coins that we have had in over a decade and a half. These coins are extra special due to the low mintages of each of them, with only 50,000 pieces in the 1953 issue and 100,000 of an original 300,000 surviving from the 1966 issue. Between the scarcity of these coins and the fact that we can offer them so rarely, this may be your last ever opportunity to add this remarkable set to your collection.
- CELEBRATING AN HISTORIC FIGURE – Minted in 1953 and 1966, both of these coins bear the image of Vasco Nunez de Balboa, who was the first European to explore the Isthmus of Panama’s Atlantic Coast, which he did in 1501. He is depicted in armor that was characteristic of the conquistadors.
- HIGH PRAISE FROM AMERICANS – The experts at the Philadelphia Mint recognized the Panamanian Lady Liberty reverse design of the 1953 coin as one of the most beautiful images ever to grace a coin.
- FAMILIAR WEIGHT AND PURITY – Both of these Panamanian Balboa coins were struck from .7734 troy oz. of .900 fine silver, the same specifications of the American silver dollar.
- PANAMANIAN LEGAL TENDER – Both of these coins are 1 Balboa legal tender in Panama. Panama was the second dollarized country in North America, and dollars have freely circulated there since 1904, when the Balboa was pegged to the dollar at 1:1. Panama is best known for its famous canal, which sped up world trade dramatically when it opened in 1914.
- WELL PRESERVED – Both coins are in good condition for their issues. The 1953 coin is on the cusp of About Uncirculated and Brilliant Uncirculated, while the 1966 piece is in Brilliant Uncirculated condition.
- A VERY RARE FIND! – We have not handled Balboa coins for 17 years, and it could be another 17 years before we have them available again!
When coins that were issued for circulation remain in Brilliant Uncirculated, or even About Uncirculated condition, they can prove rare finds decades later. That is certainly the case for the two coins in this 1953+1966 2PC Panama 1 Balboa Silver AU/BU Set. The coin were one year only circulated issues that will fit well with collections of Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars, which were struck to the same specifications. The two coins beautifully symbolize the rich history of the country that issued them. Order yours before it’s too late at GovMint.com!
|Year of Issue||1966, 1953|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|