Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1953 Panama 1 Balboa Silver AU/BU
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $49.95 $48.48
A Scarce Coin that Honors a Key Figure in Central American History
Here at GovMint, we have the pleasure of working with coins from around the world, some of which are hundreds, even thousands, of years old. Given that experience, it is tough to floor us, but that is just what one Floridian recently did. He walked into our office with the biggest hoard of Panamanian Balboas we’ve ever seen! Numbering nearly 800 pieces in total, these are the first Balboa coins that we have had in over a decade and a half. These coins are extra special due to their low mintage. In fact, just 50,000 pieces were issued. Between the scarcity of this coin and the fact that we can offer it so rarely, this may be your last ever opportunity to add this remarkable 1953 Silver Balboa to your collection.
- CELEBRATING AN HISTORIC FIGURE – Minted in 1953, this coin bears the image of Vasco Nunez de Balboa, who was the first European to explore the Isthmus of Panama’s Atlantic Coast, which he did in 1501. He is depicted in armor that was characteristic of the conquistadors.
- HIGH PRAISE FROM AMERICANS – The experts at the Philadelphia Mint recognized the Panamanian Lady Liberty reverse design by Panamanian artist Roberto Lewis as one of the most beautiful images ever to grace a coin.
- FAMILIAR WEIGHT AND PURITY – This Panamanian Balboa coin was struck from .7734 troy oz. of .900 fine silver, the same specifications of the American silver dollar.
- PANAMANIAN LEGAL TENDER – This coin is 1 Balboa legal tender in Panama. Panama became the second dollarized country in North America in 1904 at which time the Balboa was pegged to the dollar at 1:1. Dollars have freely circulated there since then. Panama is best known for its famous canal, which sped up world trade dramatically when it opened in 1914.
- WELL PRESERVED – This coin remains in good condition for its issue. It is on the cusp of About Uncirculated and Brilliant Uncirculated.
- A VERY RARE FIND! – We have not handled Balboa coins for 17 years, and it could be another 17 years before we have them available again!
When coins that were issued for circulation remain in Brilliant Uncirculated, or even About Uncirculated condition, they can prove rare finds decades later. That is certainly the case for this 1953 Panama 1 Balboa Silver AU/BU. The coin was a one year only circulated issue that would fit well with collections of Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars, which were struck to the same specifications. The coin beautifully symbolizes the rich history of the country that issued it. Order yours before it’s too late at GovMint.com!
|Year of Issue||1953|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|