Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1972-S Eisenhower Dollar NGC Gem Proof Charlie Duke Signed - Black Core
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $79.00 $76.67
Signed by a Man Who Walked on the Moon!
Touching down on the lunar highlands as part of the Apollo 16 mission at the age of 36, Charles “Charlie” Duke is still the youngest person to ever walk on the surface of the moon. From Eagle Scout to valedictorian to United States Air Force officer to test pilot, the stars made the perfect next stop for Charlie. In fact, not only was he the tenth man in history to set foot on the moon, he also served as CAPCOM (Capsule Communicator) for the landmark Apollo 11 mission three years earlier. Serving as the central point of communication between Mission Control and the three-man crew, Duke's Texas accent not only helped guide astronauts Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin as they made their momentous journey to the moon’s surface, but became THE voice of Mission Control as his distinctive southern drawl struck a note with television viewers across the world.
Now, as the 50th anniversary of that first moon landing approaches, we've teamed up with Charlie Duke to add his mark to these San Francisco Mint-struck 1972 Eisenhower Dollar Silver Proofs. Minted the same year the Apollo 16 mission took flight, each coin has been certified by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in gorgeous Gem Proof condition. In addition, each comes sonically sealed in an acrylic holder with a black display core and a full-color label featuring both Duke on the moon and his hand-signed signature.
Issued from 1971 to 1978, the United States Eisenhower Dollar – or “Ike” Dollar for short – was the first dollar coin issued since the Peace Dollar series ended in 1935. It was struck in base metal for circulation and in 40% silver for collectors. Besides featuring the bust of President Dwight Eisenhower, the coin’s reverse featured a design based on the Apollo 11 mission insignia of an Eagle clutching an olive branch landing on the moon. Both sides of the coin were designed by the legendary Frank Gasparro, tenth Chief Engraver at the U.S. Mint.
With excitement about the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing building by leaps and bounds, anything associated with the historic event has become of intense interest to collectors and science and space travel buffs. Don't miss out on owning this historic coin with a label signed by a true American hero. Blast off for yours today!
- EPIC MOON LANDING-THEMED DESIGN – Besides featuring the bust of President Dwight Eisenhower, the coin’s reverse features a design based on the Apollo 11 mission insignia of an Eagle clutching an olive branch landing on the moon.
- STRUCK IN GLEAMING SILVER – These “Ike” Dollars were struck in 40% silver at the San Francisco Mint.
- LARGE LEGAL-TENDER COIN – Each large, 38.1 mm coin is $1 legal tender in the United States.
- GRADED IN GORGEOUS GEM PROOF CONDITION – Your 1972-S Eisenhower Dollar has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in gorgeous Gem Proof condition, meaning it was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields!
- INCLUDES SIGNATURE OF REAL-LIFE AMERICAN HERO – These coins all feature an exclusive label personally signed by astronaut Charles “Charlie” Duke, CAPCOM (Capsule Communicator) for the landmark Apollo 11 mission.
|Year of Issue||1972|
|Mint Name||San Francisco - S, U.S. Mint|
|Coin Weight||24.59 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|