Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1988 Isle of Man 1-oz Silver Manx Cat Proof
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $69.95 $67.89
The 1988 Manx Cat Silver Proof – Pobjoy’s First-Ever Release in its Popular Cat Series
From 1988 through 2016, the world-renowned Pobjoy Mint released a series of proofs specifically for coin collectors who also happen to love those furry felines we love to call our pets and companions. Issued on behalf of the Isle of Man, the series became a massive hit soon after the first coin was released. In fact, the award-winning series, which depicted a one-year-only design of a different cat each year, has since become regarded as Pobjoy’s most popular and top-selling series.
Now you can add the very first coin in the series to your collection with this 1988 Isle of Man Manx Cat Silver Proof. Struck in a Troy ounce of highly-pure 99.9% silver, this legal-tender coin bears a denomination of 1 Crown and celebrates the animal that is recognized as the national symbol of the Isle of Man. Expertly crafted by the artisans at the Pobjoy Mint, the coin’s proof finish is the result of hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
The origins of this domesticated cat native to the Isle of Man are steeped in mystery. Biblical references abound, as do tales of felines swimming ashore from shipwrecked Spanish Galleons. Instantly recognizable for having only a small stub of a tail, the Manx is the product of genetics with a naturally occurring mutation that shortens the tail. While most cats need their tails for balance when running, the Manx is perfectly fine without it. Perhaps having no tail has affected its personality – Manx owners say their cats will go on walks and, unlike other cats, like to swim.
This proof has a limited mintage of just 50,000 coins, which is why we consider ourselves lucky to have secured the small hoard we have. Are you ready to order now, or do we need to break out the laser pointer?
- FIRST YEAR OF POPULAR SERIES – The 1988 Isle of Man Manx Cat Silver Proof is the first release in the Pobjoy Mint’s popular cat series that ran from 1988-2016. The coin’s reverse depicts the Manx cat, a species that originated from the Isle of Man and is instantly recognizable for having only a small stub of a tail. The coin’s obverse features a profile of a young Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY-PURE SILVER – Each 1988 Isle of Man Manx Cat Silver Proof is struck in one ounce of highly-pure 99.9% silver.
- LEGAL-TENDER COINS – These 1988 Isle of Man Manx Cat One-Ounce Silver Proofs are 1 Crown legal tender in the Isle of Man, a small island nation located in the Irish Sea between Great Britain and Ireland
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 1988 Isle of Man Manx Cat One-Ounce Silver Proof was expertly crafted by the artisans at the Pobjoy Mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LIMITED EDITION RELEASE – The worldwide limited edition of these coins was just 50,000.
There are only a limited quantity of 1988 Manx Cat coins left in the Pobjoy Mint’s vaults. Once they are gone, no more will be struck – ever. Don’t miss out, order yours now!
|Year of Issue||1988|
|Country||Isle of Man|
|Mint Name||Pobjoy Mint|
|Coin Weight||31.103 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|