Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1989-S Silver Dollar U.S. Congress Bicentennial Commemorative Proof
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $39.95 $38.77
An Up-Close Look at Our Nation’s Capitol
Some of the biggest battles ever fought in the United States were not on distant fields, but in Washington, D.C., where Democrats and Republicans have squared off for the past 230 years over such hot-button issues as civil rights, equal rights, the economy and foreign policy. Created by the Constitution of the United States, Congress is the legislative branch of our nation’s government comprised of two chambers: The Senate and the House of Representatives.
To commemorate the Bicentennial of Congress in 1989, the U.S. Mint struck this fascinating silver dollar that presented views of the U.S. Capitol building that few are ever fortunate enough to see. Struck in 90% fine silver, this legal-tender coin gives us a close-up image of the Statue of Freedom, a bronze statue designed by sculptor Thomas Crawford that has sat high atop the Capitol building since 1863. The design shows clouds and rays of sunlight exploding behind the statue in the background. The coin’s reverse is equally impressive as it shows the Mace of the House of Representatives, which resides in the House Chamber whenever the House is in session. The mace’s staff is topped by an eagle astride a globe. Hailed as the Mace of the Republic, the ceremonial scepter is one of the oldest symbols of the United States government.
Struck for one year and one year only at the San Francisco Mint, this shimmering Proof coin was struck to demand and ended with a final limited edition of 762,198 proof coins. A popular commemorative both for its stirring images and its milestone bicentennial anniversary, it will make a stunning addition to your collection.
- BICENTENNIAL TRIBUTE TO CONGRESS – The one-year-only 1989 U.S. Congress Bicentennial Commemorative Silver Dollar pays tribute to the 200th anniversary of Congress as created by the Constitution of the United States. The obverse features the Statue of Liberty which sits atop the Capitol dome in Washington, D.C. The reverse features the Mace of the House of Representatives.
- STRUCK IN FINE SILVER – 1989 U.S. Congress Bicentennial Commemorative Silver Dollar is struck at the San Francisco Mint in 26.73 grams of 90% fine silver.
- LEGAL-TENDER COMMEMORATIVE – These 1989 U.S. Congress Bicentennial Commemorative Silver Dollars are $1 legal tender in the United States.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 1989 U.S. Congress Bicentennial Commemorative Silver Dollar will come in gorgeous Proof condition, meaning it was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LIMITED EDITION STRUCK TO DEMAND – The 1989 U.S. Congress Bicentennial Commemorative Silver Dollar Proof was struck to demand and ended with a final edition of 762,198.
Pay tribute to the 200th anniversary of Congress with the 1989 U.S. Congress Bicentennial Commemorative Silver Dollar. Our supply is limited so click one to your cart today!
|Year of Issue||1989|
|Mint Name||San Francisco - S|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|