Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1998-S $1 Silver Black Revolutionary War Patriots Commemorative Proof
Pay Tribute to the Legacy of Black Patriots in the Revolutionary War
The Boston Massacre was one of the key flashpoints that helped touch off America’s Revolution against Great Britain. The incident occurred on March 5, 1770 in front of Boston’s Old State House when British troops fired on a mob of angry colonists, killing 5 people and wounding six. Eye witnesses agreed that the first person killed by the British troops was a 47-year-old African-American dock worker named Crispus Attucks. His crumpled and bleeding body soon became an important symbol for patriotism and was later used a symbol for the abolition of slavery leading up to the Civil War.
In 1998, to honor the 275th anniversary of Attucks’ birth, the U.S. Mint released this commemorative silver dollar. Struck in 90% silver, the legal-tender coin features a portrait of Crispus Attucks designed by John Mercanti. The coin’s reverse was designed by Ed Dwight and shows a detail from the proposed Black Patriots Memorial.
Each year, the U.S. Mint strikes one-year-only commemorative silver dollar proofs. These magnificent coins make a touching present to a loved one or an important addition to your collection. Secure yours now!
- HONORING THE LIFE OF AN AMERICAN PATRIOT – This coin was released to commemorate the 275th anniversary of the birth of American patriot Crispus Attucks, the first person killed during the 1770 Boston Massacre. The coin’s obverse was designed by John Mercanti and features a depiction of Attucks, an African-American who became a symbol for both patriotism and the abolition of slavery. The reverse was designed by Ed Dwight and shows a detail from the proposed Black Patriots Memorial.
- STRUCK IN FINE SILVER – Each of these commemorative dollars were struck in 26.73 grams of 90% fine silver.
- LEGAL TENDER U.S. COMMEMORATIVE – These 1998-S $1 Black Revolutionary War Patriots Silver Commemoratives are $1 legal tender.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 1998-S $1 Black Revolutionary War Patriots Silver Commemorative was struck at the San Francisco Mint in gorgeous Proof condition, meaning it was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – The final mintage for the 1998-S $1 Black Revolutionary War Patriots Silver Commemorative Proof was just 75,070.
Pay tribute to the life of Patriot Crispus Attucks with the 1998-S $1 Black Revolutionary War Patriots Silver Commemorative Proof. Click one to your cart today!
|Year of Issue||1998|
|Mint Name||San Francisco - S|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|