West Point Silver Dollars Struck At… You Guessed it, West Point!
Anyone fortunate enough to witness the cadets marching smartly in their gray uniforms on the parade grounds at the United States Military Academy in West Point, New York soon learns what the tradition of “The Long Gray Line” means. As expressed affectionately by West Pointers, the phrase refers to the unique bond shared by West Point graduates past, present and future and their dedication to the motto “Duty, Honor, Country” that has remained unchanged since the earliest days of the institution’s founding.
Authorized by President Thomas Jefferson on March 16, 1802, West Point is the United States Army’s leading military school and has produced such notable alums as Robert E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant, John J. Pershing, George S. Patton, Dwight David Eisenhower, Douglas MacArthur and Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. To honor West Point’s 200th anniversary in 2002, the United States Mint released these commemorative silver dollars. Fittingly, the coins were all produced at the U.S. Mint’s branch mint at West Point and display the distinctive “W” mint mark!
Each coin was also beautifully struck in highly pure 90% fine silver and features designs that could not be mistaken for anything other than West Point. The obverse features the Academy Color Guard in Parade and the reverse shows the West Point Bicentennial logo. Only slightly more than 100,000 of these vibrant and patriotic coins were ever struck and each one available in this offer comes in original Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, as fresh, crisp and smart as the day it left the mint.
West Point and The Long Gray Line is an integral component of America’s finest traditions. This hallowed institution has produced generations of standout American leaders, two U.S. presidents, countless generals & leaders of industry, and thousands of graduates who have gone on to lead our Army’s soldiers as young officers. This coin succinctly sums up all of that pageantry and tradition and is sure to make its mark in your collection!
- 200TH ANNIVERSARY OF WEST POINT – This coin commemorates the 200th anniversary of the founding of the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York in 1802. It shows cadets marching along the Academy’s parade grounds on the obverse while the reverse features the West Point Bicentennial logo.
- STRUCK AT THE WEST POINT MINT – Fittingly, this coin was struck at the United States branch mint at West Point, New York and features the “W” mint mark on the reverse to the left of the West Point logo.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – Each 2002-W West Point Bicentennial Silver Dollar was struck in 26.73 grams of highly pure 90% silver and measures 38.1 mm in diameter.
- UNITED STATES LEGAL TENDER – These coins are one dollar legal tender in the United States.
- BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 2002-W West Point Bicentennial Silver Dollar will come in original Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, as sharp and crisp as the day it left the mint.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – The final mintage for this patriotic commemorative was just 103,201.
Pay tribute to The Long Gray Line today by reserving one of these outstanding 2002-W West Point Bicentennial Silver Dollars for your collection.