Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2013 France 1-oz Gold Washington Diplomatic Medal PCGS Gem Proof
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $4,995.00 $4,847.65
$1,248.75 / month
Washington’s Diplomatic Medal – Reproduced as a Gleaming Gold Proof!
Shortly after George Washington took office as our first president, he approved a special medal that was to be given as a gift to visiting diplomats. It was a large 67 mm medallion that was a great big beautiful “Thank You” to those foreign diplomats to honor their services to the young United States of America.
The medal shows America as a Native American Princess, offering the bounty of the New World to Europe, represented by the Roman god Mercury. The reverse features the Great Seal of the United States. The medal was designed by the most famous artisan of the day, Augustin Dupré (1748-1833), who began his career in France as an engraver at the royal factory for weapons and ended his career as the 14th Engraver General of Currency at the Monnaie de Paris (The Paris Mint). He is also remembered by many American coin collectors as the man who also designed the Libertas Americana medal for Benjamin Franklin in 1783.
Two examples of Washington’s medal were struck in gold by The Paris Mint. The dies were then sent to the United States, where they mysteriously disappeared. The original Paris Mint dies have never resurfaced, so no more examples of Washington's original Diplomatic Medal have ever been struck – until now!
To celebrate this historic masterpiece, The Paris Mint officially restruck Washington’s Diplomatic Medal in 2013, minting it in a full ounce of 99.9% pure gold. It’s the first time the mint struck the medal in proof condition. Each is graded by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) to be in Gem Proof condition and comes sealed with a special label in an acrylic holder, preserving its provenance forever.
- OFFICIAL RESTRIKE OF WASHINGTON DIPLOMATIC MEDAL – American minting technology did not have the equipment or expertise to strike the large 67 mm original medals. The fledgling nation’s minting technology improved and the dies were sent from The Paris Mint to the Philadelphia Mint – were they promptly went missing! Recently The Paris Mint was contacted to reproduce an adaptation of these medals in a smaller size with the incredible results you see here.
- MINTED IN PURE GOLD – Your coin comes struck in a full ounce of pure 99.9% gold.
- MAGNIFICENT GEM PROOF CONDITION – Your 2013 France One-Ounce Gold Washington Diplomatic Medal comes graded by PCGS in Gem Proof condition, which means it was struck multiple times under high pressure at a slower speed using polished planchets to make it one of the finest-struck pieces of the entire issue!
- FIRST TIME RESTRUCK AS A GOLD PROOF – This historic design has been restruck in the past – but never as a gold proof. It’s a fabulous restrike that any collector would love to add to his or her collection.
This superb adaptation of the original Washington Diplomatic Medal by the same mint that struck the original is magnificent as a 99.9% gold proof. Don’t miss out – add one of these gems to your cart right now!
|Year of Issue||2013|
|Mint Name||Monnaie de Paris|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz, 2 Ounces - oz|