Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2014-SP & 2018-SP Russia 1/4-oz Gold & 1-oz Silver Saint George the Victorious 2-piece NGC MS70/Gem BU Set - Russian Label
Saint George and the… Gold & Silver Russian Sovereigns?
Saint George is not just the patron saint of England, he is also the patron saint of many other countries, including Russia, where the Russian Orthodox Church celebrates three Saint George feast days each year. While the image of Saint George slaying the dragon has appeared on the British Gold Sovereign for more than 200 years, it wasn’t until 2006 when this iconic image finally found its way onto Russian coins.
The culturally significant design appeared for the first time after it was selected as the theme for the Central Bank of Russia’s new gold bullion coin that debuted that year. These 50-Ruble legal-tender coins were officially called “Saint George the Victorious” coins and replaced the old Soviet-era Chervonets bullion coins. In 2009, Russia released a silver version of the coin. With a face value of 3 Rubles, they were Russia’s first bullion coins struck in silver. Now you can add both the gold AND the silver coins to your collection in one spectacular two-piece set!
These beautiful coins are modern Russia’s premier bullion issues. They depict a heroic image of Saint George riding his horse over the body of a snakelike dragon; his spear raised to deliver the killing blow that will end the creature’s reign of terror. The set contains a 2014 Russian Gold Sovereign minted in 99.9% gold and a 2018 Silver Sovereign minted in 99.9% silver. Both were struck at the prestigious Saint Petersburg Mint and come in spectacular high-grade condition.
The Silver Sovereign comes in Gem Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, and the Gold Sovereign has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in perfect Mint State-70 (MS70) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded coin will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. Each coin will be encapsulated in an acrylic holder with an exclusive Russian label.
These coins are referred to as Russian Gold “Sovereigns” because, much like Great Britain’s Gold Sovereigns, they feature an image of Saint George and the dragon. They’re also struck in nearly the same size drawing further positive comparisons. Unlike their British counterpart, however, instead of a monarch, the obverse design depicts Russia’s instantly-recognizable two-headed Imperial Eagle. Due to their popularity, it is extremely difficult to export these coins out of Russia, making it nearly impossible for collectors around the world to add these truly superb coins to their collections.
- SAINT GEORGE DEPICTED ON RUSSIAN SOVEREIGN – Saint George, Russia’s patron saint, is depicted riding his horse over the body of a snakelike dragon. Because of the similarity to the British Sovereign these Saint George the Victorious bullion coins are known as Russian Sovereigns.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY-PURE SILVER & GOLD – These coins are struck in highly-pure gold and silver. The 2014 Russian Gold Sovereign is struck in a quarter-ounce of 99.9% gold while the 2018 Russian Silver Sovereign is struck in 99.9% silver.
- LEGAL TENDER RUSSIAN BULLION COINS – Both of these coins are legal tender in Russia. The Gold Sovereign has a denomination of 50 Rubbles and the Silver Sovereign has a denomination of 3 Rubles.
- HIGH-GRADE BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your Russia Gold & Silver Saint George the Victorious Two-Piece Set comes in spectacular high-grade condition. The Silver Sovereign comes in Gem Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, and the Gold Sovereign has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in perfect Mint State-70 (MS70) condition. Each coin will be encapsulated in an acrylic holder with an exclusive Russian label.
- LIMITED AVAILABILITY FOR HARD-TO-FIND COINS – The worldwide maximum limited edition for these coins was set at just 300,000 for the Silver Sovereign and only 150,000 for the Gold Sovereign. Due to their popularity it’s difficult to export them out of Russian, making them hard to find for collectors around the world.
Fans of gold and silver coins are sure to fall in love with these Russian Sovereigns. Reserve yours now before our supply vanishes completely.
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Condition||Graded, Gem BU|
|Grade||MS70, GEM Uncirculated|
|Coin Weight||7.77 Grams - g, 31.10 Grams - g|
|Weight||1/4 Ounce - oz, 1 Ounce - oz|