Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2016 50 Dollar 1-oz Gold Buffalo NGC MS69
2016 $50 One-Ounce Gold Buffalo NGC Near-Perfect MS69
Every year since 2006, when the series began, collectors have looked forward to the launch of the each year's new Gold Buffalo coins. 2016 marks the 10th anniversary of this important coin, the first 99.99% fine gold bullion coin ever issued by the U.S. Mint. In addition to meeting the demand for a one-ounce American gold bullion coin made to the global standard with no alloys, this coin has also been a perennial favorite of gold coin collectors because of its striking, classic design.
Beloved for its beauty and its quintessential "Old West" imagery, the Buffalo gold piece uses the 1913 Buffalo nickel design of James Earle Fraser. The $50 gold coin brings the design to another level with its much larger canvas than the nickel, as well as the use of the latest minting technologies to draw contrast between the design and the fields. The obverse depicts a Native American Chieftain that is believed to be a composite of chiefs from three tribes, while the reverse is adorned with an American Bison. Both images harken back to the roots of the American nation and the importance of the Western portion of the country to the American self-image.
The coin was minted at the West Point Mint, though it does not have a mintmark. It grades near-perfect Mint State-69 (MS69) by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC). Add it to your collection today!
- HOT OFF THE PRESSES: Freshly struck, get the newest $50 Gold Buffalo for 2016 now.
- BUFFALO GOLD SERIES: Struck from 2006 to 2016, Gold Buffalos were the first .9999 fine (24-karat) gold coins made by the U.S. Mint. From 2006-2016, the U.S. Mint has struck a 1-oz $50 gold version and in 2008 only, fractional $5, $10 and $25 were also struck.
- OBVERSE/REVERSE: The obverse features a Native American bust and the reverse features a standing Bison. Both designs were taken from the timeless classic design of the Buffalo Nickel designed by James Earle Fraser. These iconic images have been alluring to coin collectors for over 100 years!
- NGC: Each graded coin is authenticated and certified by NGC, one of the leading third party coin grading companies in the world.
- GRADE: Collectors are always looking for quality. This coin is graded a near-perfect MS69.
|Year of Issue||2016|
|Coin Weight||31.1 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|