Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2016 50 Dollar 1-oz Gold Buffalo Proof
Tenth Anniversary One-Ounce $50 Gold Buffalos from the U.S.Mint
Almost any time a coin is struck, concessions must be made for the sake of expediency. Such was the case with sculptor James Earle Fraser’s masterpiece, the 1913-1938 Buffalo Nickel featuring a Native American and Black Diamond, the magnificent buffalo. An impressive coin, but Fraser no doubt wished it could have been better. And it was—eventually. That’s because no concessions were made when the U.S. Mint revived this classic design for the first $50 Gold Buffalo coin in 2006, which was struck in one ounce of pure 99.99% gold to bring out the full glory of the original design. This is how Fraser envisioned his coin. Big. Bold. Full of life. And struck in the purest gold used to strike any U.S. coin!
The tenth anniversary of this new American classic is in 2016.
The pure 2016 One-Ounce Gold Buffalo is struck to a shimmering Proof finish by the artisans at the U.S. Mint, with deep-mirrored surfaces framing frosted images of Fraser's Indian and Buffalo. Each proof has the 99.99% gold guaranty of purity stamped right into the surface of the coin. Each coin is struck at the West Point Mint and features a “W” mintmark. With proof mintages historically smaller than the Brilliant Uncirculated mintage, these 2016 Proof Gold Buffalos could prove to be hard to find in the future. Besides risking not being able to obtain this prize for your collection, waiting only means you won't be able to experience the breathtaking beauty of this coin.
So don't wait. Order yours in the original U.S. Mint Proof packaging, which is a work of art in its own right! Hurry, when these sell out they can be very difficult to locate.
- 10TH ANNIVERSARY: First struck in 2006, the $50 Gold Buffalo series is celebrating its landmark 10th anniversary this year.
- 24K U.S.GOLD – Each and every coin in this deal is struck in 24K U.S. GOLD! This is the purest modern U.S. gold coin struck by the U.S. Mint.
- ALLURING DESIGN: The obverse features a Native American bust and the reverse features a standing Bison. Both designs were taken from the timeless classic design of the Buffalo Nickel designed by James Earle Fraser. These iconic images have been alluring to coin collectors for over 100 years!
- BU VS PROOF MINTAGE COMPARISON: The U.S. Mint strikes the $50 Gold Buffalo in BU and Proof every year. The total proof mintage pales in comparison to the mintage of the BU:
2006-2015 BU: 2,015,515
2006-2015 PF: 526,828
The U.S. Mint has struck nearly 4 times more in BU than Proof.
- BUFFALO GOLD SERIES/GOLD CONTENT: Struck from 2006 to 2014, Gold Buffalos were the first .9999 fine (24-karat) gold coins made by the U.S. Mint. From 2006-2015, the U.S. Mint has struck a 1-oz $50 gold version and in 2008 only, fractional $5, $10 and $25 were also struck.
- WEST POINT MINT: Each coin is struck at the West Point Mint and features a “W” mintmark on the reverse.
- PACKAGING: Each coin will come housed in original U.S. Mint packaging.
|Year of Issue||2016|
|Mint Name||West Point - W|
|Coin Weight||31.10 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|