Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2016 Florida 1 Dollar 1-oz Silver Alligator Seminole Proof
Commemorating a Somber American Memory
Today, the vast majority of the Seminole nation is in Oklahoma, but that was not always the case. A small minority remains in Florida, where the tribe originated. The vast difference in location is a result of the infamous Trail of Tears, the path that an estimated 100,000 Native Americans traveled when they were forcibly removed from the their native lands in the American Southeast. Experts estimate that 15,000 people died during the arduous journey. In spite of the displacement, a portion of Seminoles remained in Florida, where they are today honored by having the Florida State athletics teams named after them.
The reverse of the coin features the animal from which Florida State’s main rival, the University of Florida, takes its teams’ name, an alligator. The fierce predator that is home to Florida’s swamps and the Everglades is shown with its mouth open, either snapping at a would-be predator or hoping to catch its nest meal. Among the inscriptions on this face is “JAMUL SOVEREIGN NATION,” the home of the Native American Mint. That is where Native American Dollars are manufactured.
- EIGHTH ISSUE IN THE SERIES -- The Seminole Alligator Proof is part of the eighth overall issue in the Native American Dollar Series and the third of 2016.
- HONORING A PROUD TRIBE -- The Seminoles remain the only Native American tribe never to have signed a peace agreement with the United States.
- STUNNING 99.9% SILVER PROOF -- The Native American Mint struck this coin on a blank of 99.9% fine silver. It has a beautiful proof finish that complements the designs beautifully.
- THE “UN-DOLLAR” – All coins in the Native American Dollar Series have $1 face values, but they are not legal tender because they were issued by individual tribes rather than the United States government.
- HONORING NATIVE AMERICANS – The proceeds from the purchases of coins in this series go to raising awareness of Native Americans.
While countless disputes about the treatment of Native Americans continue to be discussed in the public square, few would dispute that the treatment of the Seminole Indians and their ordeal with the Trail of Tears was a low point in American history. Fortunately, the tribe endures today, with the portion of it that remains in Florida continuing to retain a close relationship with Florida State University. Even more closely associated with the Sunshine State is the alligator, a reptile that usually does not attack humans but poses a deadly threat when it does. Together, the designs make this the perfect coin for any student of American history, Floridian, or college football fan. Order today, though, because this coin will not be around for long!
|Year of Issue||2016|
|Coin Weight||31.10 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|