Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2016 Tuvalu 1 Dollar 1-oz Silver War of the Worlds Proof
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $89.95 $87.30
Your Chance to Celebrate Science Fiction History!
In 1938 in the midst of a tumultuous time during which the United States were still battling the Great Depression and Europe on the brink of war, Orson Welles narrated and directed a take on War of the Worlds as a radio news broadcast, throwing many listeners into a panic. What many may fail to realize today, though, is that infamous broadcast was actually based on a book that was written by H.G. Wells in 1898. Rather than frighten readers, the book tickled their imaginations and was interpreted to include commentary on several themes, including the imperialism of the British Empire. It became a classic and was among the greatest works of its author. In 2016, the Perth Mint marked the 150th anniversary of Wells’s birth by issuing this Proof.
- HONORING AN ICON – In addition to authoring War of the Worlds, Wells also penned several other famous works, including The Time Machine and The Invisible Man.
- EXQUISITE 99.9% FINE SILVER – Each War of the Worlds Proof was struck from 1-oz of 99.9% fine silver at the Perth Mint.
- TUVALU LEGAL TENDER – Though minted in Australia, this coin is $1 legal tender in the island nation of Tuvalu. Tuvalu is located in the South Pacific and is known for its music and dance, which combine modern and the traditional styles.
- A LIMITED MINTAGE – While War of the Worlds has been read by millions over the past century plus, only 3,000 pieces were issued, meaning that many fans of the book will miss out on owning this fantastic coin.
It has become cliché for those who read books and watch movies to say that “the book was better,” but when War of the Worlds first came out, film was in its infancy, and full-length motion pictures were still decades away. Fortunately for his readers, though, Welles brought his story to life by painting vivid pictures with his words and not only providing his audience with the opportunity to visualize alien craft but also inspiring the age-old question of “What if we’re not alone?” Today, the iconic novel continues to mesmerize readers while also inspiring questions that have yet to be answered. Don’t miss out on your chance to own a piece of this celebration of literary history!
|Year of Issue||2016|
|Coin Weight||31.1 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|