Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2017 1-oz Silver Double Eagle Indian High Relief NGC Gem Proof
Own a Piece of the American Numismatic Revolution!
Sometimes a mundane event can turn into a major step for an individual – or, in one case, a country. Such was the case when President Theodore Roosevelt took a tour of the Smithsonian Institution in 1905. He was struck by the high relief of coins from ancient Rome and Greece. He stuck his hand into his vest to get a feel of an American coin for comparison’s sake and let a curse fly when he realized the difference. Displeased that then-modern American coins did not compare favorably to ancient ones, he decided that it was time for a change.
Enlisting the help of his friend Augustus Saint-Gaudens, he set about to bring in a new age in American coinage in which the still relatively young country would make coins that were not only beautiful but that could also at least begin to replace coins from Europe on the global scale. The designs on this coin were part of the beginning of that revolution. In fact, Saint-Gaudens even wanted this one to appear on the $20 Double Eagle, but the President and Mint decided to use another one of his designs on that coin, instead opting to use this one on the $10 piece. Only one full size piece was struck with these designs, and even that one did not meet Saint-Gaudens’s vision. This issue, however, does just that!
- HIGH RELIEF PROOF – The Mayer Mint in Germany struck this coin in the high relief that Saint-Gaudens envisions but that was not possible at the time.
- A JOINT PROJECT WITH THE NATIONAL PARK FOUNDATION – The National Park Foundation and the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site were among the collaborators on this historic project.
- CUSTOM PACKAGING AND CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY – Comes presented in a specially designed National Park Foundation velvet lined case. It also comes with a Certificate of Authenticity.
- A VALUABLE PIECE – The single strike of the coin on which this round is based has been estimated to be worth $20 million.
- NGC GEM – Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) certified that this piece is in GEM condition.
- REVIVING A VISION – Saint-Gaudens wanted this design to appear on the double eagle, but a full-size version was never made available to the public… until now!
The collaboration between Augustus Saint-Gaudens and President Theodore Roosevelt at the beginning of the century led to a revolution in American coinage. While some might say that the design that is named for Saint-Gaudens led that revolution, this one is no less important. Unfortunately, the master who designed it did not live to see his dream of having the design rendered in high relief and full size come to fruition, but another master, John Mercanti, helped to make that possible with this issue. Your chance to own a piece of history will not be around for long, though, so act now!
|Year of Issue||2017|
|Mint Name||B.H. Mayer Mint|
|Coin Weight||31.2 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|