Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2017 1-oz Silver Double Eagle Indian High Relief Proof
Own the Would-be World’s Most Valuable Coin!
When President Theodore Roosevelt started his tour of a Greek and Roman coin exhibit at the Smithsonian Institution in 1905, he had no idea that that simple visit would bring about a revolution in American numismatics. He admired the high relief of millennia-old coins and, while doing so, touched a coin in his vest for comparison’s sake. He couldn’t help but curse. Fortunately, though, while the curse came out, a fire burned within.
He decided then and there to enlist the help of Augustus Saint-Gaudens to help him bring about a revolution in American numismatics, one that would establish the United States as a leader around the world. Toward that end, he worked with his friend Augustus Saint-Gaudens, who took full advantage of the opportunity to create iconic designs, some of which continue to be used today. One example was the $20 Double Eagle, which was chosen over this one and returned for the American Gold Eagle. That design was chosen over this one for the $20 double eagle, but this one was chosen for the $10 piece. Only one full size piece was struck with this design… until now!
- A MASTERPIECE – While the U.S. Mint and President Roosevelt chose the other design for the double eagle, Saint-Gaudens himself preferred this one.
- HIGH RELIEF PROOF – This piece was struck in high relief proof, a rare feat that just a few mints around the world even attempt.
- IN COLLABORAITON WITH THE NATIONAL PARK FOUNDATION – These rounds were struck as part of a partnership that involved the National Park Foundation and the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site.
- PROTECTIVE POUCH AND CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY – To protect your round, we have provided a protective pouch, as well as a Certificate of Authenticity.
- AN INVALUABLE PIECE – The single strike after which this round is modeled is estimated to be worth at least $20 million.
- IMPROVING ON A LEGACY – When the single strike was made in 1907, it was not struck to the satisfaction of Saint-Gaudens in terms of the level of relief. Thanks to modern technology, we now bring the design to you just as he envisioned it!
Although it has been overshadowed by the design to which Saint-Gaudens lends his name, this $20 Double Eagle design that would become the $10 design rivals its counterpart in every respect. In particular, the American-looking Liberty marked a sharp contrast from the European coins that dominated world commerce at the time. The coin was part of a second American Revolution, this one a numismatic one. Now, you have the opportunity to appreciate it not just as it would have been had it been issued early in the last century but as Augustus himself envisioned it. This GovMint exclusive will not be around for long, so order yours today!
|Year of Issue||2017|
|Mint Name||B.H. Mayer Mint|
|Coin Weight||31.2 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|