Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2017 25 Cent America The Beautiful George Rogers Clark Quarters 3-pc Set
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $13.95 $13.54
"Great Things Have Been Effected by a Few Men Well Conducted"
In February of 1779, a group of 170 men marched with urgency across the fields of Southern Illinois. 26-year-old Lieutenant Colonel George Rogers Clark had just been alerted by merchant Francis Vigo that British forces had taken over Fort Sackville in Vincennes, thus gaining a crucial foothold in the Revolutionary War's western front. In order to take the fort's British inhabitants by surprise, he would have to lead his small force of frontiersmen on a 157-mile journey in the dead of winter. Braving an unexpected thaw that drenched the fields in freezing water for more than half of their expedition, the group arrived in Vincennes on February 23rd and forced the British to surrender Fort Sackville two days later.
But this victory didn't just help turn the tide of the war. Its strategic placement opened the area between the Ohio River and the Great Lakes up to American settlers, starting a migration that forced the British to relinquish the land as part of the 1783 Treaty of Paris. The resulting creation of the Northwest Territory provided a blueprint for the establishment of states beyond the original 13 colonies, perfectly setting the stage for 1803's Louisiana Purchase.
Today, in Vincennes, Indiana, a monument to the events of February 1779 stands as George Rogers Clark National Historical Park. Sitting on the land that once held Fort Sackville, the park's rotunda features a massive bronze statue of the man whose actions ultimately established the American West. And now, his landmark mission is part of the United States Mint's America the Beautiful Quarters® Program -- and you can bring it home to your collection with this special three-quarter set!
- ILLUSTRATIVE, INSPIRING DESIGN-- This last America the Beautiful Quarter release of 2017 features the work of designer Frank Morris and sculptor Michael Gaudioso. This quarter's reverse design dramatically captures George Rogers Clark as he leads his men through the waterlogged Southern Illinois plains, while the obverse features John Flanagan's time-honored portrait of George Washington.
- THREE QUARTERS, THREE DIFFERENT MINTS!-- Each of these three quarters hails from a different United States Mint location. Both the mints at Philadelphia and Denver contribute an uncirculated coin each, while the single proof coin in the set comes from the San Francisco mint -- known for producing exceptionally well-struck proofs with razor-sharp details and mirrored surfaces.
- ALL SEALED IN A COLORFUL CARD-- Your 2017 George Rogers Clark Three-Quarter Set will arrive to you in its original United States Mint packaging. All three coins are sealed together in a plastic card, giving you uninhibited visual access to the amazing detail of each quarter. In addition, your display card features a picturesque view of the rotunda at George Rogers Clark National Historical Park, information about the site and a certificate of authenticity.
- A COLLECTORS' FAVORITE SERIES! -- This fifth and final America the Beautiful Quarter release of 2017 continues the popular series, first established in 2010 and still attracting new collectors to the fold!
These gorgeous coins are a perfect tribute to the spirit that helped grow the United States of America, as well as an ideal addition to your collection -- capture your own 2017 George Rogers Clark ATB Three-Quarter Set today!
|Year of Issue||2017|
|Mint Name||U.S. Mint|
|Coin Weight||5.67 Grams - g|