Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2017 Alderney Platinum Sovereign NGC PF69UC
Marking Two Key Anniversaries with the World’s First-Ever Platinum Sovereign!
While British Sovereigns date to 1489, the first modern Sovereign was struck just over 200 years ago in 1817. Since that time, the Sovereign has been the world standard in gold coinage. By contrast, most continuous modern coin series date back no further than the 1970s and 1980s – with many series being even younger! So, to really mark the modern Sovereign’s historic 200th anniversary, the British Commonwealth Mint and the island of Alderney have released a beautiful tribute: The world’s first-ever Sovereign struck in pure platinum!
This issue also marks 70 years of marriage between and Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II, the longest serving monarch in British history. Struck in nearly a quarter ounce of 99.95% platinum, this proof features the conjoined shields of Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, along with the traditional garter and the dual dates of the anniversary, "1947" and "2017."
Struck in Proof condition with frosty design and mirrored fields, this historic release was limited to just 999 pieces – just 154 of which were graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in near-perfect Proof-69 Ultra Cameo (PF69UC) condition, a distinction that means your almost-flawless coin will showcase an impressive full strike and indistinguishable imperfections – well above and beyond the quality of the vast majority of coins in the series.
In 1942, during the height of World War II, 16-year-old Princess Elizabeth registered with Britain's employment agency, then known as the Labour Exchange. There, she learned how to drive ambulances, among other vehicles, deconstruct and rebuild engines, and change tires. She would use these skills in service to her country during the Second World War. Her service earned her the hearts of the British public, which she retains to this day.
With a mintage of just 999 pieces, this first-ever Platinum Sovereign Proof will not be available for long, so order yours now!
- FIRST EVER PLATINUM SOVEREIGN – After two centuries of gold sovereigns, the Commonwealth Mint introduced this FIRST-EVER Platinum Sovereign Proof.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY-PURE PLATINUM – Each 2017 Platinum Sovereign Proof was struck from approximately 1/4-ounce of 99.95% fine platinum.
- ALDERNEY LEGAL TENDER – Each 2017 Platinum Sovereign Proof is legal tender in Alderney. The Alderney pound is tied to the British pound. Alderney is in the Channel Islands and is part of the British dependency of Bailiwick of Guernsey. The island has a population of about 2,000 people and was evacuated completely during World War II.
- CERTIFIED IN NEARLY FLAWLESS CONDITION – Your coin will has been certified and graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in near-perfect Proof-69 Ultra Cameo (PF69UC) condition.
- A LIMITED MINTAGE – The maximum worldwide limited edition for the 2017 Great Britain Quarter-Ounce Platinum Sovereign Proofs was set at only 999.
Secure the first-ever platinum sovereign and you’ll be able to celebrate two anniversaries in one fell swoop – the 70th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth’s marriage to Prince Philip, and the 200th anniversary of the modern Sovereign! It’s a historic coin that you do not want to miss!
|Year of Issue||2017|
|Mint Name||Commonwealth Mint|
|Coin Weight||8 Grams - g|