Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2017 Canada Silver 30th Anniversary of the Loonie Proof Set
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $59.95 $58.18
A 30-Year Canadian Classic and the Coin it Replaced
On the morning of November 3, 1986, a courier service from the Royal Canadian Mint in Ottawa picked up two freshly-engraved master dies for delivery to the mint's production plant in Winnipeg. One die carried Susanna Blunt's profile of Queen Elizabeth II, the other carried Emanuel Hahn's iconic "Voyageur Canoe" scene. Dies like these had graced Canada's first silver dollar since 1935, but that was about to change. The two steel dies never arrived in Ottawa, and Winnipeg investigators believed the pair might have been swiped. Rather than risk dealing with counterfeits, the mint chose a new design, Robert-Ralph Carmichael's now-iconic "Loonie." The first of these bronze-plated nickel dollar coins went into circulation on June 30, 1987.
While details in the suspected theft of the Voyageur Canoe dies are few and far between, over 850 million Loonie dollars have been minted since 1987, and their image stands as a ubiquitous symbol of Canadian culture. In lieu of buying tickets to a yet-to-be-optioned summer heist thriller based on the story, you can own this 2pc CAN 2017 Silver 30th Ann. of The Loonie PF Set conversation piece and make up the details to entertain your guests.
- 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE LOONIE-- This historic pair of eleven-sided silver coins commemorates the 30th anniversary of Canada's golden-hued circulation coin, fittingly dubbed the "Loonie." Robert-Ralph Carmichael's now-iconic design of a loon mid-swim adorns the reverse of one coin, while the reverse of the other coin features Emanuel Hahn's original Voyageur design of two fur traders paddling their canoe full of pelts, a nod to Canada's early history. Both coins are also inscribed with the dual dates "1987-2017."
- CANADIAN LEGAL TENDER-- Each coin is $1 Canadian Legal Tender, a fact reflected on the reverse of each coin with the inscriptions "CANADA" and "DOLLAR." The reverses also features the inscription "RRC," the official typology of the Michael Crawford's 1974 publication Roman Republic Coinage, which has undergone several revisions and been converted to the internet-based version Coinage of the Roman Republic Online (CRRO). On the obverse of each coin, Susanna Blunt's profile of Queen Elizabeth II is encircled by the inscriptions "ELIZABETH II" on the left and "D.G. REGINA," which means "Queen by the Grace of God."
- EXTREMELY LIMITED MINTAGE-- With only 10,000 pairs minted, these coins are set to disappear fast.
- THE LOONIE DESERVES PURITY-- Each coin in this set was struck from 7.89 grams of 99.99% pure silver by the Royal Canadian Mint and measures 26.5 millimeters in diameter.
- HISTORY IN A BOX -- Each of the two coins in this set is certified to be in proof condition and they come housed side-by-side in an elegant maroon clamshell box with beautiful black interior.
If you unknowingly wound up with a counterfeit Voyageur Canoe dollar made with the missing dies, you would be required to turn it over to police without any compensation. Rather than answer questions about where you procured an illegal reproduction struck with long-lost dies, you can own this historic 2pc CAN 2017 Silver 30th Ann. of The Loonie PF Set, display it in your home, and let the police officer get back to writing his screenplay. But with only 10,000 pairs minted, these coins are bound to vanish fast! Order today!
|Year of Issue||2017|
|Mint Name||Royal Canadian Mint|
|Coin Weight||7.89 Grams - g|