Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2017 France 10 Euro Silver Venus De Milo Proof
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $64.95 $63.03
Hold One of Antiquity’s Greatest Sculptures!
Many ancient works of art have been appreciated through the ages, but others have been lost to history. The Venus De Milo, which was carved by Alexandros of Antioch, was in the latter category for centuries. Just a couple of centuries ago, it was found on Melos, an island in the Aegean Sea. It was reconstructed and erected to a standing position. The statue was presented to Louis XVIII in 1820 and, in turn, donated to the Louvre, where it stands today, in 1821. Today, the 8.8 million visitors that the Louvre receives every year have the opportunity to admire this ancient wonder, which continues to be studied in art history classes throughout the world.
The Louvre is located in Paris, which is a center for classical art. In addition to the Louvre, the city’s most famous museum, the city is also home to the Musee d Osry, Hotel Sale, the Rodin Museum, the Hotel Biron, and Centre Pompidou. These museums are included along with the Louvre on the reverse in a design that would bring a smile to any art lover’s face. Taken together with the stunning sculpture that is on the obverse, it is hard to imagine any collector who has an appreciation for art considering their collection complete without this coin.
- THE LATEST IN THE "MASTERPIECES OF THE MUSEUMS" SERIES -- This 2017 Venus de Milo continues the Masterpieces of the Museums collection, which celebrates some of the great works and world-renowned museums in Paris.
- EXQUISITE PROOF FINISH – This coin has a proof finish that enhances the splendor of this classical work of art, as well as the museum that houses it. Each piece was struck from 22.2-g of 90% fine silver.
- FRANCE LEGAL TENDER -- Each 2017 Venus de Milo is €10 France legal tender, as noted on the reverse along with some of Paris’s great museums. France has long been a center of art and culture in Europe, featuring such esteemed artists as Monet, Manet, and Cezanne.
- EXCELLENT EXTRAS – Each coin comes in the original packaging of the Monnaie de Paris Mint, which includes a themed box and a beautiful display case.
- A LIMITED MINTAGE – Only 5,000 pieces were issued in this mintage, quite low given the popularity of the featured piece of art.
While every coin is a piece of art unto itself, this one claims art as art. That is to say that it beautifully replicates a piece that is reputed throughout the world to be one of the most beautiful sculptures ever created. Even those who generally do not appreciate art are familiar with the statue, and one need not know its full history to be aware of its stature in the art world. With this issue, Monnaie de Paris celebrates the iconic work in stunning silver. With a limited issue of 5,000 pieces, your opportunity to own it could go missing, just as the statue itself did for centuries, so order yours today!
|Year of Issue||2017|
|Mint Name||Monnaie de Paris|
|Coin Weight||22.2 Grams - g|