Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018 France 10 Euro Silver Year of the Dog Proof
Start Your New Lunar Calendar Cycle with Man’s Best Friend!
The Chinese created one of the oldest calendars in the world, and many Eastern countries continue to celebrate holidays based on that calendar. Based on the sun and the moon, the first day of the month is the new moon and the 15th is the full moon. Seven intercalary months are added to the calendar every nineteen years so that the calendar remains within a solar year. There are twelve lunar months, each of which is associated with an animal, and each animal has several traits associated with it. These associations are similar to the Western zodiac and make for some beloved coin series.
2018 is the Year of the Dog, which is what this coin marks. Dogs are particularly well known for their loyalty and faithfulness, as well as their sense of duty. They are also considered to be champions of justice who are always ready to fight injustice. It is little wonder that the creatures have become so close with humans!
- STARTING A NEW LUNAR CYCLE-- This 2018 Year of the Dog starts a new lunar cycle, making it a great option for starting a new collection. Lunar series are attractive choices for collectors because they are finite, feature unique designs, and span more than a decade, thus providing plenty of opportunity anticipation and requiring a certain level of discipline and consistency.
- GORGEOUS PROOF FINISH– This coin was struck on a .999 fine silver planchet and has a stunning proof finish that complements the designs beautifully.
- FRANCE LEGAL TENDER– Each Lunar Year of the Dog Proof is 10€ legal tender in France. France is known for its rich culture and priceless art. It is home to the Louvre Museum, which houses the Mona Lisa.
- BEAUTIFUL DISPLAY CASE– Monnaie de Paris provides a beautiful black display case that provides you with a great way to show this coin off.
- A LIMITED MINTAGE – Dog lovers and lunar series collectors are sure to make this coin’s mintage of just 5,000 pieces seem particularly rare.
Lunar series tend to be extremely popular among collectors, but between the fact that this issue starts a new lunar cycle and that it bears an adorable image of man’s best friend, this one is sure to stand out. A Chow Chow, which is known in Chinese as Songshi Quan (“puffy-lion dog”) smiles at the holder on the obverse in an image that is sure to warm the heart of any dog lover. The Chinese motifs around it pay homage to the culture from which this series comes. Complete with the animals of the Chinese calendar and the years of the new cycle on the reverse, this coin has wide appeal. With a low mintage of just 5,000 pieces, though, it is unlikely to be around long, so don’t wait to order yours!
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Mint Name||Monnaie de Paris|
|Coin Weight||22.2 Grams - g|