Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2017 Falkland Islands 1 Crown 1-oz Silver Britannia Rules The Wave NGC Gem Proof FR 2pc Set
From an Honest Mistake Comes a Gorgeous Limited-Mintage Set!
It was, and still is, a brilliantly beautiful idea. To commemorate the 35th anniversary of the Falkland Islands War and their resulting liberation from a two-month occupation by Argentina, the Pobjoy Mint designed a stunning proof series. Featured on the coin's reverse was a new interpretation of Britannia, the time-honored personification of Great Britain. As she stood above the crashing caps of the ocean, the phrase "Britannia Rules the Waves" wreathed her from the top. With the design all signed off on and ready to go, the artisans of the Pobjoy Mint went to work on creating the first series of reverse proofs. Unfortunately, production would be shut down by a piece of paper . . . a cease-and-desist letter to be exact.
It turns out that the United Kingdom's Royal Mint holds the trademark on the use of the word "Britannia," which is also the name of their beloved bullion coin and proof series. Legally, the Pobjoy Mint could continue minting the series with the image of Britannia -- as long as the phrase "Britannia Rules the Waves" was removed from the coin's reverse. And the 7,326 reverse proofs that were minted before the letter arrived? In the spirit of a friendlier age of trademark protection, the Royal Mint is allowing these coins to be sold as-is . . . just as long as it doesn't happen again! Now, you can own one of these limited-mintage reverse proofs as part of this gorgeous Britannia Rules the Waves Two-Proof Set!
- STUNNING, SYMBOLIC DESIGN -- Britannia, the beloved embodiment of Great Britain and icon of maritime sovereignty, is masterfully depicted on each proof's reverse. Wearing her Corinthian helmet and holding her trident, she stoically watches the wind-swept sea. Of course, as we mentioned before, the reverse proof of this set features the phrase "Britannia Rules the Waves" while the proof does not.
- TWO PROOF-STRUCK MASTERPIECES! -- Crafted by the world-renowned Pobjoy Mint, both coins in this set are the products of hand-selected one-ounce planchets of 99.9% fine silver, struck multiple times by polished dies. One coin features a proof finish with frosted details that hover over mirror-like fields. The other coin is a literal reverse proof, showcasing lustrous mirror-like features set against frosted fields!
- FALKLAND ISLANDS LEGAL TENDER -- Both this 2017 Britannia Rules the Waves Proof and Reverse Proof are one crown legal tender for the Falkland Islands, as seen on each coin's obverse along with a profile of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- CERTIFIED GEM PROOF -- Both coins in this two-piece set have been inspected, certified and graded Gem Proof by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC). This distinction means that your 2017 One-Ounce Silver Britannia Rules the Waves Proof and Reverse Proof are both the products of superb strikes, placing them firmly among the elite of the run! In addition, both your proof and reverse proof will come certified First Releases (FR) by NGC, meaning that they were among the first struck by the mint and were verified within the first 30 days of issue. Finally, both coins will be sonically sealed in their own individual acrylic holder -- giving you the best in protection while granting clear sightlines into every beautiful detail.
- A LIMITED-MINTAGE SET! -- Only 7,326 Britannia Rules the Waves "Motto" Reverse Proofs were struck by the Pobjoy Mint, in addition to 500 "No Motto" Proofs. A large number of individual proofs and reverse proofs have already been distributed, making a complete set like this harder to obtain!
Whether you're an Anglophile, a collector of gorgeous coin art, a fan of world history or a lover of great numismatic tales, this stunning set deserves a place in your collection. Don't make your own mistake -- make this set yours today!
|Year of Issue||2017|
|Mint Name||Pobjoy Mint|
|Coin Weight||31.10 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|