Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2017 Great Britain Silver Britannia Proof- 6 Piece Set
A Gorgeous Contemporary Design Celebrates 30 Years of the Britannia!
Over 2,000 years ago, when the Romans first landed on the shores of a massive island beyond the northernmost reaches of their empire, they named the discovered land Britannia. Over the years, the title of Britannia bloomed into a lyrical personification of the isles that evolved from the conquered figure imagined under Emperor Hadrian to the "warrior queen" of the Elizabethan era and beyond. And while the United Kingdom continues to change and evolve, the figure of Britannia still stands tall, illuminating the ideals of pride, fortitude and progress.
Britannia's beauty and symbolism has graced British coins for centuries. So, it was only natural for her to take center stage when the Royal Mint debuted their premier gold bullion series in 1987. Bringing silver into the fold in 1997, today the Britannia is among the most premier names in precious metal coinage, standing with the South African Krugerrand, the American Eagle and the Canadian Maple Leaf. And while the bullion edition of the Britannia has kept its same design since 2013, each year brings an exciting new design to the Britannia Proof -- and this year is no different! With a new contemporary design by one of England's rising young artists, we're proud to bring you this 2017 Silver Britannia Six-Proof Set!
- MAGNIFICENT MODERN DESIGN -- Since the Britannia series is celebrating its 30th anniversary (and with the Silver Britannia celebrating its 20th), the Royal Mint put the call out for young talent to create a modern, progressive design for the 2017 series. The result is a stunning vision from Louis Tamlyn, a student at Central Saint Martins in London. Rich with symbolism, this gorgeous creation imagines Britannia in the form of the British Isles, crowned with her Corinthian helmet, shield and trident in her hands, over a field of radial lines that evoke the Union Jack.
- AN ANNIVERSARY TRIDENT MINT MARK -- To mark the Silver Britannia's 20th anniversary, each 2017 Silver Proof features a special one-year-only anniversary mint mark. The three-pronged fork of Britannia's trident is struck with the number 20 in between its prongs.
- PROOF-STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER -- The artisans at the Royal Mint use hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to create gorgeous pieces of numismatic art. You'll receive six proofs in all, weighing in at one ounce, 1/2 ounce, 1/4 ounce, 1/10 ounce, 1/20 ounce and 1/40 ounce -- all struck in 99.9% fine silver. Respectively, each Britannia Proof is two pounds, 1 pound, 50 pence, 20 pence, 10 pence and 5 pence United Kingdom legal tender -- a fact you'll find minted on each coin's obverse along with Jody Clark's profile of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- PACKAGING FIT FOR A QUEEN -- Your 2017 Silver Britannia Six-Proof Set will arrive to you in a black Royal Mint-branded clamshell case along with a numbered certificate of authenticity and a booklet that details the history of Britannia and the story behind Louis Tamlyn's brilliant design.
- A LIMITED-MINTAGE EVENT -- The Royal Mint will only strike a maximum of 2,500 Britannia Silver Six-Proof Sets for collectors worldwide. Not only that, but this intricate design will only be minted for this 2017 series. Once they're gone, they're gone for good!
Like the others that came before it, this 2017 Silver Britannia Six-Proof Set both establishes and reimagines an enduring symbol of British strength. Whether you're new to the Britannia series or a longtime collector, coin fanatic or Anglophile, this vision is one worth bringing home. Don't miss this opportunity -- order yours today!
|Year of Issue||2017|
|Mint Name||The Royal Mint|
|Weight||1/40 Ounce - oz, 1/20 Ounce - oz, 1/10 Ounce - oz, 1/4 Ounce - oz, 1/2 Ounce - oz, 1 Ounce - oz|