Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2017 Louisiana 1 Dollar 1-oz Silver Natchez Black Bear Proof
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $89.95 $87.30
Celebrating One of America’s Most Unique Tribes!
The Natchez people lived in the Lower Mississippi Valley near what is today a town that bears their name. They are particularly notable because the language that they spoke lacks any known close relatives. While they initially survived colonization, diseases and military defeats to the French decimated the tribe in the 18th century. Today, the state of South Carolina recognizes two Natchez communities, but most descendants in the United States live as part of other nations in Oklahoma. This coin’s obverse features a Natchez tribesman, who, unlike most other figures in the series, is adorned by jewelry rather than feathers.
On the reverse is the Louisiana black bear. Known by the scientific name “Ursus americanus luteolus,” the subspecies is home to Louisiana and parts of Mississippi and Texas. It is listed on the federal Threatened List, indicating that it is short of endangered but not safe from extinction. The bear lives in forests and bayous and has a long, flat skull and large molars.
- PART OF THE THIRD YEAR OF ISSUE -- The Native American Dollar Series started in 2015. This Black Bear Natchez is one of several issues in 2017.
- STUNNING 99.9% SILVER -- Like other Native American Dollars, this Black Bear Natchez was struck from 1-oz 99.9% fine silver at the Native American Mint, which also gave it a beautiful proof finish.
- $1 FACE VALUE – But not legal tender! Because Native American Dollars are issued by individual tribes rather than the United States government, the coins are not legal tender.
- PURCHASE WITH PURPOSE – Proceeds from the sale of all Native American dollars are used to fund Native American awareness efforts.
Since 2015, Native American dollars have been issued by various tribes in an effort to celebrate their culture and raise awareness about them. Many Native American tribes are known for their tremendous respect for nature, so it is fitting that the reverse of each coin features an image of an animal from the area. This 2017 Silver Black Bear Natchez is a great option for hunters, students of Native American culture and history, and anyone with ties to the state of Louisiana. Given the popularity of this series and that each mintage is short-lived, this coin will not be available for long, so order yours today.
|Year of Issue||2017|
|Coin Weight||31.1 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|