Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2017 Mississippi 1 Dollar 1-oz Silver Choctaw Moccasin Proof
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $89.95 $87.30
Celebrating a Unique and Thriving Cultural Heritage!
In 2015, the Native American Dollar collection began as a means of celebrating Native American culture and raising awareness about the country’s tribes. Several coins have been issued each year, though perhaps none thus far has celebrated a tribe that had, at least for several decades, such a good relationship with the United States. Whereas many other Indian tribes sought to defend their land only to be defeated and find themselves at the mercy of European empires or the new country, the Choctaw were different. They traded extensively with the French, and some even fought for Washington’s army during the American Revolution. Until the Presidency of Andrew Jackson, the relationship was quite strong. While many were forced to walk the infamous Trail of Tears, the tribe’s leaders successfully negotiated to ensure a path to citizenship for those who wanted it.
On the reverse of the coin is one of the deadliest creatures in the United States. The water moccasin, a pit viper, lifts its head and opens its mouth as it prepares to strike. It is the world’s only semi-aquatic viper species and is most often found in lakes and slow-moving streams. Some, however, enter the Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico.
- TENTH ISSUE IN THE SERIES – This coin is the tenth issued in the Native American Dollar Series, which began in 2015.
- CELEBRATING A TRIBE OF DIPLOMATS – A Choctaw Indian is on the obverse. He has both a headpiece that is adorned by feathers and jewelry in his nose and ears.
- STUNNING 99.9% SILVER PROOF – The Native American Mint struck this coin from 1-oz of 99.9% fine silver and enhanced its beautiful designs with a proof finish.
- $1 FACE VALUE BUT NOT LEGAL TENDER – This coin has a listed face value of “One Dollar,” but it is not legal tender because it was not issued by the United States government. Instead, it was issued by the Choctaw Tribe.
- BUYING FOR A CAUSE – The proceeds from Native American Dollars are used to fund efforts to raise awareness of Native Americans.
While many of the Native American Dollar issues honor tribes that have rich histories but are struggling today, this Choctaw Water Moccasin departs from that trend. In fact, the tribe has been thriving over the past century. Just a few of their accomplishments include service in the military as the first Native American code talkers, reconstitution of their government, and the creation of a tribal college and justice system. Now you have the chance to share in the celebration of this important tribe with this Silver Mississippi Choctaw Water Moccasin Proof. That opportunity, though, will be short lived, so order yours at GovMint.com today!
|Year of Issue||2017|
|Coin Weight||31.10 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|