Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018 1 Dollar Silver World War I Centennial BU and 1922-P Peace Dollar BU 2pc Set
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $129.95 $126.12
A Commemoration of War and a Celebration of Peace, Together in this Two-Coin Set!
2018 marks a somber centennial in American history. In early 1918, after months of training, the first troops from the United States began to fight alongside the Allied Powers of France, Britain, Russia and Italy in World War I. For the previous four years, the European continent had been engulfed in bloody and brutal mechanized conflict between the Allied Powers and the Central Powers of Germany, Austria-Hungary and Turkey. Horrific trench warfare and the use of poison gases by both sides had already resulted in staggering casualties, and the Allies were running out of resources after years of fighting.
While the United States had tried to broker peace at a distance, the sinking of several merchant ships by German forces spurred America into action. On April 6th, 1917, the United States declared war on Germany, and America started to prepare for war. With the arrival of skilled U.S. troops in 1918, the war decisively turned the way of the Allies, ultimately resulting in the November armistice. Finally, for a while at least, peace returned to the fields of Europe. But not without a grisly toll --116,516 U.S. soldiers gave their lives, joining the over 10 million dead.
To honor the bravery of the four million U.S. troops that served a century ago, the United States Mint has created an exceptional World War I Centennial Silver Dollar Commemorative, featuring designs that capture the brutality of "The Great War" and the sacrifices we still honor today. Now you can own this landmark coin along with a stunning celebration of peace -- a 1922 Philadelphia Peace Silver Dollar -- in this phenomenal two-piece set!
- THE FACE OF BATTLE, THE POPPIES OF PEACE -- Designed by artist LeRoy Transfield and sculpted by the prolific United States Mint engraver Don Everhart, the obverse of this 2018 commemorative features the stoic profile of a WWI soldier. Rifle in hand and wreathed by barbed wire, this "Soldier's Charge" design features dual dates of 2018 and 1918.The foreboding barbed wire from the literal heads of this coin continues to its reverse, joined by another Transfield/Everhart design of "Poppies in the Wire." A powerful symbol of sacrifice and remembrance, the poppy was made famous by Canadian Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae's 1915 poem "In Flanders Fields." The peaceful beauty of the flower, amidst the death and destruction of war, still symbolizes hope and honor today.
- LIBERTY CROWNED IN VICTORY -- The second coin of this set symbolizes the opposite of World War I's cruelty. Designed by medalist Anthony de Francisci, the Peace Dollar served as a bold commemoration of victory with a hopeful vision of the future. A crowned profile of Liberty graces the obverse while an eagle clutches an olive branch on the reverse. Of the many minted as replacements for the millions of Morgan Silver Dollars melted down for the war effort, this Philadelphia-struck 1922 Peace Dollar is a beautiful Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) example of a legendary series.
- IMMORTALIZED IN SILVER -- Separated by nearly a century, both coins hail from the renowned Philadelphia Mint. Each is struck in 90% silver with incredible precision.
- U.S. LEGAL TENDER -- Your 2018 WWI Centennial Silver Dollar Commemorative and 1922 Peace Dollar are both one dollar United States of America legal tender, as seen on each coin's reverse.
- AUTHENTIC COINS OF YESTERDAY AND TODAY -- Your uncirculated commemoratives will arrive to you with respective certificates of authenticity.
For collectors of European history, military history or American history, this symbolic WWI Commemorative Set is a reverent reminder of our troops' bravery and selflessness a century ago. Don't miss out on your chance to add these two coins to your collection -- bring this stunning set home today.
|Year of Issue||2018, 1922|
|Mint Name||Philadelphia - P, U.S. Mint|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|