Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018 Australia 2-oz $2 Silver Wedge Tailed Eagle Piedfort Proof
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $149.00 $144.60
Australia’s Wedge-Tailed Eagle Has Put on a Little Weight!
About five years ago, we brought John Mercanti and the Perth Mint together to collaborate on a new coin series. Little did we know that we'd help start an international sensation! This match of the most prolific designer in United States Mint history along with the world-renowned Australian mint produced the first-ever Wedge-Tailed Eagle in 2014 – the first time a U.S. Mint chief engraver designed a coin struck by another official world mint!
In 2018, the Perth Mint did something extra special to the Wedge-Tailed Eagle: They’re fattened him up! That’s right, for the first time in the 5-year history of the series they have released a double-thick two-ounce silver Piedfort! Struck on an extra thick planchet of 99.99% pure silver, the design is the same as what appears on the thinner one-ounce version. Piedforts take their name from the French words for “heavy weight.” This type of extra thick coin was first struck in France during the 12th century.
And speaking of the design, the 2018 image is brand-new! In 2014 and 2015, the series featured Mercanti's vision of an eagle in flight, ready to land. The next two years displayed a perched eagle with a stoic and majestic gaze. Now, for 2018, the time is due for another new creation -- one that, along with all designs to follow, will be struck for one year and one year only! GovMint.com is proud to present the latest addition to this acclaimed series, featuring not just one but an entire FAMILY of exceptional eagles!
- THREE EAGLES, ONE MAGNIFICENT DESIGN! -- For this 2018 creation, John Mercanti went back into his archive of unused designs originally submitted to the U.S. Mint. Featuring a baby eaglet being watched carefully by its mother, the father of the family is shown swooping in, ready to come home to the nest. It's the eagle family design that Mercanti has been waiting to create for years, finally realized in this gorgeous proof!
- BRILLANT CRAFTSMANSHIP IN PHENOMENAL PROOF CONDITION! -- Each coin begins as a hand-selected double-thick two-ounce planchet of highly pure 99.99% fine silver. Then, the artisans at the Perth Mint strike each coin multiple times with polished, curved dies. The result is a gorgeous proof with sharp, frosted details that tower over a field gleaming with a mirror-like surface.
- AUSTRALIAN LEGAL TENDER -- Each 2018 Silver Wedge-Tailed Eagle Two-Ounce Piedfort Proof is two dollars Australian legal tender. All the details are engraved on the obverse along with Ian Rank-Broadley's profile of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. The coin's silver content, the year 2018 and the signature "P" mintmark join the wedge-tailed eagle family on the reverse.
- SUPERB ORIGINAL MINT PACKAGING -- Your 2018 Silver Wedge-Tailed Eagle Two-Ounce Piedfort Proof will arrive to you exactly as it left the Perth Mint, secured in a presentation case and accompanied with a numbered certificate of authenticity.
- A LIMITED MINTAGE EVENT -- The Perth Mint has set the maximum worldwide edition limit of these 2018 Silver Wedge-Tailed Eagle Two-Ounce Piedfort Proofs at exactly 3,000!
That's right - there are only 3,000 of these proofs for Wedge-Tailed Eagle collectors around the world! And, unless you live in Australia, your ONLY source for this stunning silver coin is GovMint.com. The entire Wedge-Tailed Eagle series has been a global hit since 2014, and we're expecting this installment to soar right out of our vaults. Don't wait another moment -- add this double-thick 2018 Silver Wedge-Tailed Eagle Two-Ounce Piedfort Proof to your collection today!
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Mint Name||Perth Mint|
|Coin Weight||62.213 Grams - g|
|Weight||2 Ounces - oz|