Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018 Australia 5 Ounce $8 Silver Kookaburra High Relief Proof
Take a High Relief Moonlit Flight with These Australian Birds!
Kangaroos, wallabies, crocodiles, and other wildlife are among the top attractions for most tourists visiting Australia, as they hope to catch a glimpse of these exotic and often dangerous animals. For coin collectors, though, another, less threatening animal – a bird – is at the top of the list: The Perth Mint’s Silver Kookaburra!
Each year this immensely popular coin series debuts a new, one-year-only design depicting the indigenous member of the kingfisher species. As seen on this massive five-ounce legal-tender silver proof, the 2018 design features a kookaburra, wings spread, coming in for a landing with the moon in the background. The exquisite image is brought to vivid life by the Perth Mint’s talented artisans, who expertly struck this masterpiece in fantastic high relief. Its superb design sitting high over the mirror-like field is a spectacular tour de force!
There’s nothing like a high-relief proof coin. The extremely difficult process includes specially treated planchets, multiple strikes and incredible pressure. It’s so easy to get wrong that few mints even attempt them on a regular basis! But Australia’s Perth Mint is up to the challenge, and has released this 2018 Silver Kookaburra High Relief Proof. Struck in five ounces of highly-pure 99.99% silver — the highest purity ever for this popular series — these legal-tender coins represent the epitome of what the minter’s art can achieve.
Since its debut in 1990, the Australian Silver Kookaburra has become a top target of coin collectors. Mintage figures are far lower than most other bullion coins, and the fact that the reverse design changes every year adds an exceptional level of scarcity to go along with the stunning beauty of the series. Don’t wait to add the 2018 Australia Five-Ounce Silver Kookaburra High Relief Proof to your collection today!
- FANTASTIC ONE-YEAR-ONLY DESIGN – 2018’s image of a flying kookaburra against the backdrop of a full moon is a fabulous new addition to the series that began in 1990. On the obverse side, you'll find Ian Rank-Broadley's profile of Queen Elizabeth II along with the denomination.
- STRUCK IN PURE SILVER – The 2018 Australia Silver Kookaburra High Relief Proof is struck in 5 ounces of 99.99% silver. The coin is a large 50.6 mm in diameter and boasts a thickness of 12.5 mm!
- LEGAL TENDER COINAGE – These 2018 Australia Silver Kookaburra High Relief Proofs are $8 legal tender in Australia.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your Five-Ounce Silver Kookaburra is in gorgeous Proof condition, meaning it was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- EXTREMELY SMALL LIMITED MINTAGE – Just 500 of these 2018 Australia Five-Ounce Silver Kookaburra High Relief Proofs have been issued for worldwide release by the Perth Mint.
These legal tender “birds” are always popular with collectors and silver stackers so reserve your 2018 Australia Five-Ounce Silver Kookaburra High Relief Proof now because with only 500 available in the world they will fly away fast!
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Relief Type||High Relief|
|Mint Name||Perth Mint|
|Coin Weight||155.6 Grams - g|
|Weight||5 Ounces - oz|