Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018 Great Britain £1 Gold Sovereign NGC PF70UC One of First 150 Struck
2018 Sapphire Coronation Gold Sovereign
In general, a coin’s design will often see an update or a total replacement after 30 or 50 years. But not Great Britain’s Gold Sovereign! First issued in 1817 as a replacement for the guinea, its design has barely changed – that is until 2018 when a special addition found its way onto the coin’s reverse.
What could be so special about 2018 you ask? Just this: 2018 marked the 65th year since Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation. To celebrate the occasion, Great Britain’s world-renowned Royal Mint included a special “65” mint mark on the reverse of this Gold Sovereign “Sapphire Anniversary” Proof. It’s a small but immensely significant addition that succinctly represents all the pomp, tradition and splendor of Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation in just two little numbers.
Struck in approximately a quarter ounce of 91.7% (22 karat) gold, this legal-tender “coin of the realm” features the legendary St. George and the Dragon design on the reverse as originally created by the famous engraver Benedetto Pistrucci more than 200 years ago. The mintmark can be seen below the design just to the right of the 2018 year date. The coin’s obverse is graced by the official effigy of Queen Elizabeth II.
In addition, your 2018 Great Britain £1 Gold Sovereign has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded proof will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended! NGC has also certified that this proof is not only a First Strike (FS) release, but further certified that it was one of the first 150 coins struck. Collectors seek out these coins because they are produced with new dies and considered to have sharper strikes and deeper mirrors than those that are struck later.
Just 13,350 of these special gold proofs have been struck for worldwide release – an exceptionally small mintage for such an historic event! With The Queen’s popularity combined with other events happening within the Royal Family, interest in the British Monarchy is at an all-time high! Coin collectors, Royal watchers and gold buyers will all be clamoring for these coins. Don’t be one of the many who miss out, add a 2018 Great Britain £1 Gold Sovereign Sapphire Anniversary Proof to your cart today!
- A TRADITIONAL DESIGN “MARKED” BY AN ANNIVERSARY – This coin continues the centuries-old tradition that shows the classic Saint George and the Dragon design first used in 1817. In honor of the 65th Sapphire anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign in 2018, the Royal Mint added a special “65” mintmark design just below the iconic image. The Queen’s regal portrait graces the coin’s obverse.
- STRUCK IN GLEAMING GOLD – Each coin was struck in approximately a quarter ounce of 91.7% fine gold.
- BRITISH LEGAL TENDER – These 2018 Sovereigns are £1 (one pound) legal tender in Great Britain.
- GRADED IN PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – Your 2018 Great Britain £1 Gold Sovereign has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition.
- ONE OF FIRST 150 STRUCK – NGC has certified that this proof was one of the first 150 coins struck.
- LOW LIMITED MINTAGE – The worldwide limited edition for 2018 Great Britain £1 Gold Sovereign Proof was set at just 13,350.
Join the celebration and secure yours certified by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo condition as well as One of the First 150 Struck!
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Pedigree||1 of first 150 Struck|
|Mint Name||The Royal Mint|
|Coin Weight||7.98 Grams - g|
|Weight||1/4 Ounce - oz|