Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018 Great Britain 50 Pence 15.5-Gram Gold Paddington at Paddington Station NGC PF70UC First Releases
Gold Commemorative Celebrates Paddington Bear’s 60th Anniversary
What was it about the furry, duffel coat-wearing, marmalade-loving bear named Paddington that had so many people around the world enthralled by his misadventures in England? Was it his Wellington boots? Was it his impeccable English accent and manners? Or was it his sketchy past from “mysterious” Peru? Perhaps it was simply the adorable stories about Paddington that sprung from the agile mind of British author Michael Bond that made Paddington one of the most beloved characters in children’s fiction.
Now, on the 60th anniversary of Paddington’s first appearance in the book “A Bear Called Paddington,” the world-renowned British Royal Mint has struck an incredibly unique gold proof that pays tribute to the whimsical charm of the kind-hearted bear. This legal-tender coin not only features an eye-catching seven-sided heptagonal shape, but the image of Paddington is incredibly detailed right down to his distinctive overcoat and battered suitcase! It’s an adorable design that’s sure to melt the heart of anyone who remembers reading the book as a youngster or who has ever read the Paddington books to a child or grandchild.
Struck in 15.5 grams of 91.7% British gold, your 2018 Great Britain Paddington at Paddington Station Gold Proof has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in perfect Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded proof will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. In addition, your coin will be certified as a First Releases (FR) coin by NGC, meaning that it was among the first struck by the mint and was verified within the first 30 days of issue. Collectors seek out these coins because they are produced with new dies and considered to have sharper strikes and deeper mirrors than those that are struck later. Also, the population of coins labeled First Releases is only a fraction of the total mintage.
Since his debut in 1958, Paddington has become an iconic figure not just in English children's literature, but in British culture as well. A bronze sculpture of Paddington rests patiently in Paddington Station where thousands of commuters and tourists stop for pictures on a daily basis. The frumpy little bear is such a national symbol that when British and French workers completed the Channel Tunnel beneath the English Channel in 1994, British workers chose a Paddington teddy bear as the first item to send to their French counterparts upon linking the two sides of the tunnel. Paddington’s adventures have been translated into 40 languages and have sold more than 35 million copies worldwide, making Paddington one of Great Britain’s most popular exports!
Your 2018 Great Britain Paddington at Paddington Station Gold Proof is from a maximum worldwide limited edition of just 1,250 coins. With the popularity of Paddington in books, television, film and toys, these proofs are sure to be highly coveted by collectors everywhere. Order one for yourself and get more for your children or grandchildren, who, like you, have been captivated by the delightful tales of Paddington Bear!
- ADORABLE BRITISH DESIGN THROUGH AND THROUGH – 2018 marks the 60th anniversary of Paddington Bear’s first appearance. Created by British author Michael Bond, Paddington was found wearing his famous duffle coat and battered old bush hat at the London train station that bears his name. He was adopted by the Brown family and together they had many adventures. Paddington is depicted sitting on his suitcase at the train station on the reverse of the unique seven-sided heptagonal coin. The coin’s obverse features a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN GLEAMING BRITISH GOLD – These Paddington at Paddington Station Silver Proofs are struck in 15.5 grams of 91.7% British gold.
- LEGAL-TENDER COINAGE – Each Gold Paddington coin is 50 Pence legal tender in Great Britain.
- GRADED IN PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – Your 2018 Great Britain Paddington at Paddington Station Gold Proof has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in perfect Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded proof will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended.
- KEY FIRST RELEASES CERTIFICATION – Your coin will also be certified as a First Releases (FR) coin by NGC, meaning that it was among the first struck by the mint and was verified within the first 30 days of issue.
- LIMITED WORLDWIDE EDITION – The British Royal Mint has set the maximum worldwide edition limit for this coin at just 1,250.
When Paddington Bear was found at London’s Paddington Station, a note was pinned to his coat that read, “Please look after this bear.” Now you can look after Paddington with this imaginative gold Proof!
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Mint Name||The Royal Mint|
|Coin Weight||15.5 Grams - g|
|Weight||1/2 Ounce - oz|