Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018 Great Britain 50 Pence 8-Gram Cupro-Nickel Paddington at Buckingham Palace BU
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $19.95 $19.36
Commemorative Coin Celebrates Paddington Bear’s 60th Anniversary
What was it about the furry, duffel coat-wearing, marmalade-loving bear named Paddington that had so many people around the world enthralled by his misadventures in England? Was it his Wellington boots? Was it his impeccable English accent and manners? Or was it his sketchy past from “mysterious” Peru? Perhaps it was simply the adorable stories about Paddington that sprung from the agile mind of British author Michael Bond that made Paddington one of the most beloved characters in children’s fiction.
Now, on the 60th anniversary of Paddington’s first appearance in the book “A Bear Called Paddington,” the world-renowned British Royal Mint has struck an incredibly unique 50-pence coin that pays tribute to the whimsical charm of the kind-hearted bear and one of his later adventures that took him to Buckingham Palace. This legal-tender coin not only features an eye-catching seven-sided heptagonal shape, but the image of Paddington is incredibly detailed right down to his distinctive overcoat and battered old hat! It’s an adorable design that’s sure to melt the heart of anyone who remembers reading the book as a youngster or who has ever read the Paddington books to a child or grandchild.
Since his debut in 1958, Paddington has become an iconic figure not just in English children's literature, but in British culture as well. A bronze sculpture of Paddington rests patiently in Paddington Station where thousands of commuters and tourists stop for pictures on a daily basis. The frumpy little bear is such a national symbol that when British and French workers completed the Channel Tunnel beneath the English Channel in 1994, British workers chose a Paddington teddy bear as the first item to send to their French counterparts upon linking the two sides of the tunnel. Paddington’s adventures have been translated into 40 languages and have sold more than 35 million copies worldwide, making Paddington one of Great Britain’s most popular exports!
Struck in 8 grams of Cupro-Nickel, your 2018 Great Britain Paddington at Buckingham Palace Silver 50-Pence Coin comes in gorgeous Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, meaning that your coin is the product of a superb strike that places it firmly among the elite of the run. With the popularity of Paddington in books, television, film and toys, these coins are sure to be highly coveted by collectors everywhere. Order one for yourself and get more for your children or grandchildren, who, like you, have been captivated by the delightful tales of Paddington Bear!
- ADORABLE BRITISH DESIGN THROUGH AND THROUGH – 2018 marks the 60th anniversary of Paddington Bear’s first appearance. Created by British author Michael Bond, Paddington was found wearing his famous duffle coat and battered old bush hat at the London train station that bears his name. On this coin, Paddington is depicted waving a flag in front of Buckingham Palace. The scene is from the 1986 book “Paddington at the Palace” where in his futile attempts to see the changing of the guard he gets help from the Queen herself to view the formal ceremony. The coin’s obverse features a portrait of Paddington’s rescuer, Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN GLEAMING CUPRO-NICKEL – These Paddington at Buckingham Palace 50-Pence Coins are struck in 8 grams of Cupro-Nickel, a copper-nickel alloy that is highly resistant to corrosion and silvery in color. It’s a durable metal that has been used in coinage since around 235 B.C.
- LEGAL-TENDER COINAGE – Each Paddington coin is 50 Pence legal tender in Great Britain.
- GORGEOUS BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 2018 Great Britain Paddington at Buckingham Palace 50-Pence coin will come in gorgeous Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, meaning that your coin is the product of a superb strike that places it firmly among the elite of the run.
When Paddington Bear was found at London’s Paddington Station, a note was pinned to his coat that read, “Please look after this bear.” Now you can look after Paddington with this exceptionally imaginative coin!
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Composition||Copper-Nickel - CuNi|
|Mint Name||The Royal Mint|
|Coin Weight||8 Grams - g|