Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018 Great Britain Gold Sovereign Set NGC Gem Proof 5pc
Continuing a Rich Tradition of Sovereigns
The British Sovereign has one of the longest histories of any running series. It dates back to 1817, when the coin debuted with an image of King George III on the obverse and a shield and crown motif on the reverse. The reverse image was later replaced by what is considered a classic design of Saint George slaying a dragon, the same design that the coins in this set share. Each coin produced in the series, which ran from 1817-1918, again in 1925, and from 1957 to the present, has been produced according to the purity standards set forth in the Act of 1816. Even the weight of the full sovereign remains relatively constant at 7.988052-g, which was rounded to 7.98805-g by the Coin Act in 1971. Today, that tradition is alive and well with this latest issue of the series.
- THE LATEST IN A CENTURIES-OLD SERIES – These coins are part of the latest issue in one of the world’s oldest continuing series. Minted to standards that have remained remarkably constant over the past two hundred years, these coins are perfect for those who love rich history in numismatics.
- GORGEOUS PROOF FINISHES – Each of these five Gold Sovereigns has a beautiful proof finish that makes both designs stand out.
- BRITISH LEGAL TENDER -- Each 2018 Sovereign is legal tender in Great Britain. From largest to smallest, these coins have face values of £5, £2, £1, half pound, and quarter. Britain and the United States have what is known as the “Special Relationship” for the past century. The two countries remain among the most closely allied on the planet.
- CERTIFIED AS GEM PROOF BY NGC -- Your coin will be inspected, certified and graded Gem Proof by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC), one of the world's leading independent grading services. A Gem Uncirculated certification means that your coin is the product of a superb strike that places your coin firmly among the elite of the run!
- A LIMITED MINTAGE – Just 850 of these sets were authorized. All but the largest in the set have higher mintages, with the largest being the £1 piece, of which 13,350 were authorized.
The British Royal Mint is among the most highly respected mints in the world. In fact, over fifty foreign countries entrust their minting to it. Its millennia-plus continuous history included the service of Sir Isaac Newton, who served as Mint Master for nearly three decades, bringing his knowledge and skill to bear on Britain’s coinage. This set continues what many consider Britain’s most historic and important collections. Act now, because these sets will not be available for long!
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Mint Name||The Royal Mint|