Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018 Niue 2 Dollar 1-oz Silver Battle Of Hastings Antique
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $80.00 $77.64
Commemorating a Battle that Changed British History
The winter of 1066 brought chaos into England with the death of Edward the Confessor. Edward had no children, so there was no clear successor to the throne. The ensuing power struggle resulted in the coronation of King Harold. Later that year, rivals challenged his reign. King Harald Hardrada of Norway and Harold’s brother Tostig invaded. Just five days an early victory at the Battle of Fulford, they were defeated at the Battle of Stamford Bridge. Posing the greater challenge was William the Conqueror.
Just a few days after Stamford Bridge, William landed his forces in the south of England. Harold marched south to meet him, but he was outnumbered. While precise figures remain unknown, estimates put Harold’s forces at about 7,000, nearly all of which were infantrymen. By contrast, William’s forces, who numbered about 10,000, were only half infantrymen, with the rest consisting of cavalry and archers. Harold was killed at the battle, which lasted one day, and William was crowned the new King of England on Christmas Day, 1066. This coin captures the victor in that battle, William the Conqueror, whose colorized image is set against a backdrop of infantry and cavalry in battle.
- FOURTH COIN IN THE “BATTLES THAT CHANGED HISTORY" SERIES – This is the fourth issue in a series of coins that mark some of the battles that changed the course of history. The series is perfect for anyone who has an interest in history, especially military history.
- FITTING ANTIQUE FINISH – Each Battle of Hastings coin was struck from 1-oz of 99.9% fine silver. They have an antique finish that adds age to the coins, which is appropriate given that the battle took place nearly a millennium ago.
- NIUE LEGAL TENDER -- Each 2018 Battle of Hastings Coin is $2 Niue legal tender, as noted on the obverse, which features Ian Rank-Broadley’s portrait of Queen Elizabeth II. Niue is an island nation in the South Pacific. It is known for its beautiful beaches and crystal clear water.
- EXCELLENT EXTRAS – The coin comes encased in an antique-looking timber box along with a Certificate of Authenticity.
- A LIMITED MINTAGE – This Battle of Hastings coin is part of a limited mintage of only 5,000 pieces.
The New Zealand Mint is one of the favorite mints among world collectors. It produces several series that have themes from ancient history to modern culture. This 1-oz Silver Battle of Hastings consists of beautiful color that complements the ancient look and feel of the rest. Just like the battles of this series are history, though, so too will soon be your opportunity to own this remarkable coin, so order yours at GovMint today!
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Mint Name||New Zealand Mint|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|