Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018-P 1 Dollar Silver World War I Centennial Proof and Marine Medal 2pc Set
A Lasting, Heartfelt Tribute to the Heroes of "The Great War"
2018 marks a somber centennial in American history. In early 1918, after months of training, the first troops from the United States began to fight alongside the Allied Powers of France, Britain, Russia and Italy in World War I. For the previous four years, the European continent had been engulfed in bloody and brutal mechanized conflict between the Allied Powers and the Central Powers of Germany, Austria-Hungary and Turkey. Horrific trench warfare and the use of poison gases by both sides had already resulted in staggering casualties, and the Allies were running out of resources after years of fighting.
While the United States had tried to broker peace at a distance, the sinking of several merchant ships by German forces spurred America into action. On April 6th, 1917, the United States declared war on Germany, and America started to prepare for war. With the arrival of skilled U.S. troops in 1918, the war decisively turned the way of the Allies, ultimately resulting in the November armistice. Finally, for a while at least, peace returned to the fields of Europe. But not without a grisly toll --116,516 U.S. soldiers gave their lives, joining the over 10 million dead.
To honor the bravery of the four million U.S. troops that served a century ago, the United States Mint has created this exceptional two-piece set featuring a World War I Centennial Silver Dollar Proof and a World War I Marine Corps Silver Medal Proof-- both featuring designs that capture the brutality of "The Great War" and the sacrifices we still honor today.
- THE FACE OF BATTLE, THE POPPIES OF PEACE -- Designed by artist LeRoy Transfield and sculpted by the prolific United States Mint engraver Don Everhart, the obverse of the silver dollar proof features the stoic profile of a WWI soldier. Rifle in hand and wreathed by barbed wire, this "Soldier's Charge" design features dual dates of 2018 and 1918. The foreboding barbed wire from the literal heads of this proof continues to its reverse, joined by another Transfield/Everhart design of "Poppies in the Wire." A powerful symbol of sacrifice and remembrance, the poppy was made famous by Canadian Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae's 1915 poem "In Flanders Fields." The peaceful beauty of the flower, amidst the death and destruction of war, still symbolizes hope and honor today.
- IN THE WOODS OF FRANCE WITH THE MARINE CORPS -- Exclusively produced for this set, the silver medal proof captures the courage and skill that the Marine Corps brought to the legendary Battle of Belleau Wood. On the obverse, a Marine stands guard while another pays his respects in the famous battlefield -- all over an inscription of the report Major Maurice E. Shearer made to the American Expeditionary Forces: "Woods now U.S. Marine Corps entirely." Flip the medal over, and you'll discover the Marine Corps WWI-era emblem, joined with the phrase "Over There!" -- the rallying cry made famous by George M. Cohan's hit 1917 song.
- IMMORTALIZED IN SILVER -- The craftspeople at both the Philadelphia Mint and the San Francisco Mint have brought their renowned talents to these masterpieces. Hand-selected 90% silver planchets are struck multiple times with polished dies to create commemoratives with frosted, razor-sharp details that rise from mirror-like fields -- all capped with respective "P" (silver dollar) and "S" (silver medal) mint marks.
- U.S. LEGAL TENDER SILVER DOLLAR -- Each 2018 WWI Centennial Silver Proof from this two-piece set is one dollar United States of America legal tender, as seen on the coin's reverse. While the medal of this set does not have a legal tender value, its silver content, stirring design and superb symbolism make it a collectible that will be treasured for generations.
- PHENOMENAL PACKAGING -- Your silver dollar and silver medal will arrive to you sealed in their own individual acrylic capsules and secured in a blue United States Mint clamshell case. In addition, your commemoratives will come with a certificate of authenticity, all inside a blue U.S. Mint shipping box.
For collectors of European history, military history or American history, this symbolic 2018 WWI Centennial Silver Dollar Proof and WWI Marine Corps Silver Medal Proof Set is a reverent reminder of our troops' bravery and selflessness a century ago. Don't miss out on your chance to add these pieces to your collection -- bring this stunning set home today.
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Mint Name||Philadelphia - P, San Francisco - S, U.S. Mint|
|Coin Weight||26.73 Grams - g|