Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018 Saint Gaudens 1-oz Gold Winged Liberty Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof NGC PF70 Mercanti Signed
Augustus Saint-Gaudens' Original Vision Takes Flight!
While the U.S. Mint’s famous Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle has gone down in history as one of the world’s most beautiful coins, few people know that it was actually the second choice of its designer, famed American sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens. Tasked by President Teddy Roosevelt with revamping America’s coinage, Saint-Gaudens originally intended for his $20 gold piece to feature Lady Liberty wearing a feathered headdress and sporting a full pair of wings. And instead of a Bald Eagle in flight as it appeared on the final version, Saint-Gaudens’ original preferred reverse design of a proud Bald Eagle was ultimately used on the $10 gold coins.
Unfortunately, the minting technology in 1907 when the coin was first struck wasn’t up to the challenge. Today’s minting technology has no such issues, however, and thanks to a partnership with the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site and the National Park Foundation, you can now get Saint-Gaudens’ masterpiece as he originally intended it to look on this incredible 2018 Winged Liberty Proof. Based on the original model displayed in the permanent collection of the Saint-Gaudens Historic Site in Cornish, New Hampshire, this gold proof features the design as meticulously restored by former U.S. Mint Chief Engraver John Mercanti, the 12th Chief Engraver at the U.S. Mint.
Minted in a full ounce of 99.99% gold, this special release was struck in ultra high relief with a stunning reverse proof finish so you can see every design detail Augustus Saint-Gaudens envisioned for his Double Eagle. This is the third year these special proofs have been issued and the FIRST year to feature the stunning reverse proof finish! Each has also been certified by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in perfect Proof-70 (PF70) condition and comes encapsulated in a special holder with a National Parks Foundation label personally signed by none other than John Mercanti!
Securing a 2018 One-Ounce Gold Saint-Gaudens Winged Liberty Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof is a wonderful way to add this historic design to your collection in stunning ultra high relief. Don’t miss out – order yours today!
- SAINT-GAUDENS’ ORIGINAL DESIGN BROUGHT TO LIFE – This mesmerizing proof represents the original design famed American sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens intended for the American Double Eagle
- STRUCK IN PURE GOLD – Each Silver Saint-Gaudens Winged Liberty Ultra High Relief Proof is struck in an ounce of 99.99% gold.
- EXQUISITE HIGH RELIEF AND FIRST-EVER REVERSE PROOF FINISH – You can see every design detail Augustus Saint-Gaudens envisioned for his Double Eagle on this ultra high relief piece struck with a stunning reverse proof finish.
- GRADED IN PERFECT PROOF CONDITION –Your 2018 Saint-Gaudens Winged Liberty Ultra High Relief 1-Ounce Gold Reverse Proof was graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in perfect Proof-70 (PF70) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded proof will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended!
- INCLUDES SIGNATURE OF JOHN MERCANTI – The gold proofs in this offering have all been encapsulated in a special holder that contains an exclusive National Park Foundation label personally signed by John Mercanti, the 12th Chief Engraver at the U.S. Mint.
- SMALL LIMITED EDITION – Just 750 of these beautiful proofs were struck for worldwide release.
Now in its third year, the Saint-Gaudens Winged Liberty Series has already proven to be enormously popular with collectors. The 2018 Saint-Gaudens Winged Liberty Ultra High Relief 1-Ounce Gold Reverse Proof in perfect condition is the perfect addition to complement past years’ issues. It will be eagerly sought by collectors so get yours now!
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Relief Type||Ultra-High Relief|
|Coin Weight||31.2 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|