Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2018 Smithsonian Institution 1/2-oz Gold 1878 Morgans Eagle NGC PF70UCAM
Compare the Coin That Was with the Coin that Could Have Been
The most recognizable coin in American history – and, perhaps, world history – is the Morgan Silver Dollar. What has become an iconic coin for avid numismatists and casual collectors alike was first envisioned entirely differently. It wasn’t meant to be a silver coin at all; it was originally designed for the $10 Gold Eagle. The man for whom the world-renowned coin is named, designer George T. Morgan, made some modifications to his original design before it debuted on the dollar for circulation. Now, you can get this 2018 Gold Morgan Eagle medal to see what Morgan first had in mind.
- BASED ON THE ORIGINAL -- The US Mint struck an 1878 $10 Gold Patter to see what Morgan’s design would look like. That strike, which is known as “Judd-1582,” is held in the National Numismatic Collection of the Smithsonian Institution. This medal is based on that strike with only slight modifications.
- STRUCK IN ENGLAND FROM PURE GOLD – Each medal was struck from .484 oz of 99.9% fine gold at England’s Commonwealth Mint, which used some of the original equipment from the Birmingham Mint, where George T. Morgan served his apprenticeship.
- STUNNING PROOF FINISH – This medal was struck with a proof finish that makes Morgan’s original designs shine!
- CERTIFIED FLAWLESS -- Your gold proof will also come certified Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70 UC) by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC), a distinction that means your perfectly-graded 2018 Gold Morgan Eagle Proof will have ZERO imperfections -- showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended!
- A LIMITED MINTAGE – Honoring the year in which Morgan created the designs, mintage of this medal has been capped at 1,878 pieces.
George T. Morgan’s silver dollar made numismatic history by departing from the tradition of depicting Liberty as a Greek-style figure, instead portraying her for the first time as an American-style figure. Today, Morgan dollars are highly sought after among collectors and are often passed down through generations as keepsakes and heirlooms. Thanks to this special issue of the 2018 Gold Morgan Eagle, you now have the opportunity to see the design as it was originally intended. With a mintage of just 1,878 pieces, that opportunity will not last long, so order this set today.
|Year of Issue||2018|
|Mint Name||Commonwealth Mint|
|Weight||1/2 Ounce - oz|