Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 Ascension Island 1 Crown First Man on the Moon Silver Proof
50th Anniversary of Historic Apollo II Mission Honored by NASA Tracking Station Island
Aside from the fact that when Apollo 11 blasted off from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida it had to “ascend” into space, it would seem like one would have to make a “giant leap” to connect the first successful moon landing with the small, nearly uninhabited Ascension Island in the South Atlantic Ocean. But that’s where you’d be wrong. There’s actually a HUGE connection since that’s where NASA built a tracking station in support of its Apollo Program and where Neil Armstrong’s first words were received before being relayed to Mission Control!
Now, in honor of the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission, Ascension Island is releasing a limited-edition commemorative silver proof that pays tribute to the First Man on the Moon and the island’s role in making it happen. Struck by the world-renowned British Pobjoy Mint in 28.28 grams of 92.5% sterling silver, the legal-tender coin not only shows an image of Astronaut Neil Armstrong saluting the American flag on the surface of the moon, it also features the words Armstrong spoke when he first stepped off the lunar module to become the first man to set foot on the moon: “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”
In addition, Pobjoy received special permission from NASA to use the space agency’s famous logo. The logo along with the planet Earth, dual dates of 1969 & 2019, and ONE CROWN denomination are all featured on the reverse of the coin along with the Image of Armstrong saluting the flag in the foreground. This proof was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields that really make the design out of this world!
Situated in the Devil’s Ashpit on Ascension Island, a volcanic and lunar-looking area that is highly conducive to receiving radio transmissions, NASA’s tracking station on the remote island is also part of a wild conspiracy theory. According to some conspiracy theorists, Neil Armstrong didn’t really set foot on the moon; he actually stepped out onto a field in the Devil’s Ashpit! Whether you believe the urban legend or not, it makes for another cool connection between the tiny island and Apollo 11, adding another collectible element to this fascinating proof. Add one of these coins to your orbit by clicking one to your cart today!
- COMMEMORATES 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF FIRST MOON LANDING – Featuring the image of United States Astronaut Neil Armstrong saluting the American flag on the surface of the moon, this coin commemorates the 50th anniversary of NASA’s Apollo 11 mission – the first successful moon landing. The obverse depicts a regal portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN BRITISH STERLING SILVER – Each 2019 Ascension Island First Man on the Moon Silver Proof was struck by the British Pobjoy Mint in 28.28 grams of highly-pure 92.5% British sterling silver.
- LEGAL-TENDER COMMEMORATIVE COIN – This 2019 Ascension Island First Man on the Moon Silver Proof is 1 Crown legal tender on Ascension Island, an isolated island in the South Atlantic Ocean located half way between South America and Africa.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 Ascension Island First Man on the Moon 1 Crown Silver Coin will come in gorgeous Proof condition, meaning it was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – The Pobjoy Mint struck only 5,000 of these commemorative proofs for worldwide release.
Don’t delay; with only 5,000 of these impressive silver proofs available for worldwide release, the time is now to reserve your coin before they’re all gone!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Mint Name||Pobjoy Mint|
|Coin Weight||28.28 Grams - g|