Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 Austria 1-oz Silver Duke Leopold V BU with Blister Pack Folder & Knights Tale Album - 825th Anniversary of Vienna Mint
The Medieval Feud that Gave Birth to the Austria Mint
The founding of the prestigious Austrian Mint in Vienna dates back to the 12th century and a royal feud between two crusaders. It started in 1191 when England’s Richard I refused to share credit for the capture of Acre with Austria’s Duke Leopold V during the Third Crusade. Following the victory, Richard went so far as to have Leopold’s personal banner thrown into the moat around the city’s walls. A year later Leopold would have his revenge when he took Richard prisoner on his way back from the Crusades and released him in 1194 only after being paid 15 tonnes of silver. From that silver, Leopold began striking coins featuring his seal. It was the ultimate display of one-upmanship and represented the first coins of the Austrian Mint.
Now, on the 825th anniversary of Leopold getting the better of Richard, the Austrian Mint has released the first of a planned three-coin series that commemorates the founding of Austria’s Vienna Mint. Struck in one ounce of highly-pure 99.9% silver, these Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) legal-tender coins launch the series with a dramatic portrait of Duke Leopold V decked out in full battle armor along with his famous banner waving in the background. If you look closely, you can see the 1194 date inscribed in the banner. The coin’s obverse recreates the Duke’s official seal along with the 2019 issue date and 1.5€ (1.5 Euros) denomination.
The maximum worldwide limited edition for the2019 Austria 825th Anniversary of Vienna Mint Leopold V One-Ounce Silver Coin has been set at just 100,000. For coin collectors, students of history and silver stackers the world over, these coins are sure to be a huge hit. Get yours now in an official government-issued blister pack folder and accompanied by the book A Knight’s Tale an illustrated album packed with facts and historical detail about the Middle Ages. It’s also designed to hold all the coins in this anniversary release!
Rediscover the age of Richard the Lion Hearted and how his feud with Austria’s Duke Leopold founded the world-famous Austria Mint and order your coin today!
- STUNNING TRIBUTE 825 YEARS IN THE MAKING – The first coin in a three-coins series, the Leopold V One-Ounce Silver Coin features a modern recreation Austrian Duke Leopold V’s official seal from his reign of 1177-1194. The coin’s reverse shows the Duke dressed in the armor he wore during the Crusades as well as the 1194 year date for when he founded the Austrian Mint in Vienna.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY-PURE SILVER – Each 825th Anniversary of the Vienna Mint silver bullion coin is struck in a troy ounce of highly-pure 99.9% silver.
- LEGAL TENDER COIN – These spectacular 825th Anniversary of the Vienna Mint silver bullion coins are 1.5€ (1.5 Euros) legal tender in Austria as well as the other member nations in the European Union.
- GORGEOUS BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 2019 Austria 825th Anniversary of Vienna Mint Leopold V One-Ounce Silver Coin will come in gorgeous Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, meaning that your coin is the product of a superb strike that places it firmly among the elite of the run.
- SPECIAL BOOK ABOUT THE MIDDLE AGES – In addition to receiving your coin in an official government-issued blister pack folder, it will also be accompanied by the book A Knight’s Tale, an illustrated album packed with facts and historical detail about the Middle Ages. It’s also designed to hold all the coins in this anniversary release!
- LIMITED WORLDWIDE EDITION LIMIT – The maximum worldwide limited edition for this coin has been set at just 100,000.
Celebrate the founding of the Austrian Mint with this 2019 Austria 825th Anniversary of Vienna Mint Leopold V One-Ounce Silver Coin. Click one – or several – to your cart today!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Mint Name||Austrian Mint|
|Coin Weight||31.10 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|