Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 Austria 1-oz Silver Wiener Neustadt BU - 825th Anniversary of Vienna Mint
The Medieval Feud that Gave Birth to the Austria Mint
The founding of the prestigious Austrian Mint in Vienna dates back to the 12th century and a royal feud between two crusaders. It started in 1191 when England’s Richard the Lionheart refused to share credit for the capture of Acre with Austria’s Duke Leopold V during the Third Crusade. Following the victory, Richard went so far as to have Leopold’s personal banner thrown into the moat around the city’s walls. A year later Leopold would have his revenge when he took Richard prisoner on his way back from the Crusades and released him in 1194 only after being paid 15 tonnes of silver. From that silver, Leopold began striking coins featuring his seal. It was the ultimate display of one-upmanship and represented the first coins of the Austrian Mint.
To celebrate the 825th anniversary of Leopold getting the better of Richard, the Austrian Mint is releasing a series of coins that commemorate the founding of Austria’s Vienna Mint. Struck in one ounce of highly-pure 99.9% silver, each Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) legal-tender coin offered here is from the second release in the series. The coins depict the medieval city of Wiener Neustadt with the original castle of Burg Wiener Neustadt dominating the skyline. The castle and city were paid for out of the ransom that Leopold extracted from England for Richard’s return. The coin’s obverse recreates the Duke’s official seal along with the 2019 issue date and 1.5€ (1.5 Euros) denomination.
The maximum worldwide limited edition for the2019 Austria 825th Anniversary of Vienna Mint Wiener Neustadt One-Ounce Silver Coin has been set at just 100,000. For coin collectors, students of history and silver stackers the world over, these coins are sure to be a huge hit. Add one – or several – of these silver coins to your collection today!
- STUNNING TRIBUTE 825 YEARS IN THE MAKING – The second coin in a three-coin series, the Wiener Neustadt One-Ounce Silver Coin features a modern recreation Austrian Duke Leopold V’s official seal from his reign of 1177-1194. The coin’s reverse shows the city of Wiener Neustadt as it looked at that time, built from funds raised by the ransom of English King Richard I.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY-PURE SILVER – Each 825th Anniversary of the Vienna Mint silver bullion coin is struck in a troy ounce of highly-pure 99.9% silver.
- LEGAL TENDER COIN – These spectacular 825th Anniversary of the Vienna Mint silver bullion coins are 1.5€ (1.5 Euros) legal tender in Austria as well as the other member nations in the European Union.
- GORGEOUS BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 2019 Austria 825th Anniversary of Vienna Mint Wiener Neustadt One-Ounce Silver Coin will come in gorgeous Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, meaning that it is the product of a superb strike that places it firmly among the elite of the run.
- LIMITED WORLDWIDE EDITION LIMIT – The maximum worldwide limited edition for this coin has been set at just 100,000.
Celebrate the founding of the Austrian Mint with this this 2019 Austria 825th Anniversary of Vienna Mint Wiener Neustadt One-Ounce Silver Coin. Click it to your cart today!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Mint Name||Austrian Mint|
|Coin Weight||31.10 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|