Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 Great Britain £5 Cupro-Nickel Tower of London Ravens BU
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $19.95 $19.36
The Official Guardians of the Tower of London
Visit England’s historic Tower of London, and you’re likely to see a small number of Ravens attracting the attention of visiting photographers and tourists. Normally thought of as portents of doom, these large black birds are actually the Tower’s official guardians. Why all the falderal about Ravens? Well, according to legend, King Charles II was told by a witch that should the Ravens ever leave the Tower, the Monarchy would fall. Not one to tempt fate, Charles decreed that the ravens should never be removed and today six birds are always on duty with a seventh kept as a back-up – just in case!
The ravens are an enduring symbol of Monarchy, tradition, and history at the Tower of London. And now they’re also the theme of a new coin from Great Britain’s prestigious Royal Mint that pays tribute to the history and lore of one of London’s most famous royal castles. This majestic coin features a Raven perched below one of the Tower’s arches. He is depicted looking over his left shoulder – perhaps keeping an eye on one of the Tower’s famous ghosts? In addition, the Raven is depicted along with one quarter of the outer walls of the Tower of London. Why only one quarter? Because this coin is just the first release of a four-coin Tower of London series, that when placed together present the entire outer wall!
Not only is the first coin in in an exciting new series, but it’s also a first for the Royal Mint as it represents the first time that a special Tower mint mark has been featured on an official United Kingdom coin! The mint mark can be seen just to right of the Raven’s wings on the reverse of this £5 legal tender cupro-nickel coin. Plus, your coin will come in its original Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, as fresh and crisp as the day it left the Mint!
It’s unlikely that today’s Ravens will leave any time soon as each bird has had its wings clipped to ensure they remain behind the Tower’s walls. They are also pampered in a way other birds could only dream about and are looked after by a designated Ravenmaster. If watching a few birds seems like an easy job, think again – Ravenmasters must first become a Yeoman Warder, a position requiring a minimum of 22 years in the military!
Luckily for you, all that’s needed to gain the honor of protecting your own Guardian of the Tower is to make some room in your collection. Capture and share this fascinating piece of the Tower of London’s history by clicking one of these Tower of London Raven coins to your cart today!
- FIRST IN A NEW SERIES – The Legend of the Ravens Coin is the first release in The Royal Mint’s Tower of London series and depicts a Raven perched on a wall at England’s famous Tower of London. The coin’s obverse features the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, the year date and denomination.
- INCLUDES FIRST-EVER ROYAL MINT TOWER MINT MARK – This coin also represents the first time that a special Tower mint mark has been featured on an official United Kingdom coin.
- LEGAL-TENDER COINAGE – These Tower of London Ravens Coins are £5 (five pounds) legal tender in Great Britain.
- GORGEOUS BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 2019 Great Britain £5 Tower of London Ravens Coin will come in gorgeous Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, as fresh and crisp as the day it left the mint.
Why not add some extra protection to your collection and secure this £5 legal-tender coin in Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition from The Royal Mint. Don’t wait or these Ravens will be available “Nevermore!”
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Composition||Copper-Nickel - CuNi|
|Mint Name||The Royal Mint|
|Coin Weight||28.28 Grams - g|