Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 Great Britain £5 Silver Tower of London Yeoman Warders Piedfort Proof
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $195.00 $189.25
$97.50 / month
Beef Up Your Collection with these Tower of London Yeoman Warders Coins
Great Britain’s Tower of London has stood for centuries on the north bank of the River Thames, serving at different times as a palace, a prison, a mint, a menagerie, a public records office, and the home of the fabled Crown Jewels. In 2019, the Royal Mint released a four-part series of coins dedicated to the heritage of the iconic castle-like structure. The penultimate third release in this well-received series features none other than one of the iconic Yeoman Warders, who ceremoniously guard the historic landmark.
If you don’t want to travel all the way to England, you can see the Yeoman Warders up close right from the comfort of your living room with this fantastic coin. This £5 legal-tender coin is struck in nearly two ounces of 92.5% fine silver as a double-thick Piedfort Proof that’s twice the weight of a standard £5 coin. It brilliantly depicts one of the Beefeaters as he stands on guard before a portion of the Tower’s outer wall, ready to assist curious tourists and sightseers.
With their brightly colored Shakespearean attire, the Yeoman Warders are the instantly recognizable “Beefeaters,” a troop of 37 men and women who acquired the nickname several hundred years ago during a time when the Tower guards were paid part of their salary with chunks of beef – a practice that existed well into the 1800s. Today, each Yeoman must be between 40 and 55 years of age and must have at least 22 years of military service. The uniforms of the Yeoman Warders include the thistle, rose and shamrock, emblems of Scotland, England and Ireland. This uniform also bears the initials of the current sovereign. The initials ER on today’s uniforms stand for Elizabetha Regina (Regina is Latin for queen) in honor of Queen Elizabeth II.
While the Yeomen no longer receive part of their pay in beef, there are other perks to the job. One such perk dates back to 1879 when distiller James Burrough created a new gin recipe. In an early masterstroke of branding, Burrough decided to give his new product the title of Beefeater after the Tower of London’s red-uniformed Yeoman Warders. It embodied a strong traditional idea of London and proved to be a distinctive and unmistakable symbol. According to legend, Burroughs sought permission from the Chief Yeoman to use the name for his dry London gin. The Chief Yeoman agreed on the condition that each Yeoman received a bottle of gin on his birthday – a tradition that has been maintained to this day!
Each coin in this four-piece series is part of a greater whole. When all four coins of the series are arranged together it completes an image of the Tower of London. It’s a fascinating aspect to these coins – but only possible if you secure this third release while it’s still available!
Your coin will come beautifully presented in its original government packaging from the mint; a sleek black display box accompanied by an informative booklet. Only 1,160 of these silver piedfort proofs will be struck, so reserve yours now!
- LATEST RELEASE IN TOWER OF LONDON SERIES – The Yeoman Warders Coin is the third release in The Royal Mint’s Tower of London series and depicts a Coronation Crown, along with a portion of the Tower’s outer wall. The coin’s obverse features the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, the year date and denomination.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – Each Tower of London Yeoman Warders Silver Piedfort Proof was struck in 56.56 grams of highly-pure 92.5% British Sterling silver.
- LEGAL TENDER IN GREAT BRITAIN – These Tower of London Yeoman Warders Silver Piedfort Proofs are £5 (five pounds) legal tender in Great Britain.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 Great Britain £5 Tower of London Yeoman Warders Silver Piedfort Proof was expertly crafted by The Royal Mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – The Royal Mint has set the maximum edition limit for this coin at only 1,160.
The Yeoman Warders are one of the most iconic symbols of Great Britain. Secure one of these fabulous Tower of London proofs now and “beef” up your collection!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Mint Name||The Royal Mint|
|Coin Weight||56.56 Grams - g|
|Weight||2 Ounces - oz|