Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 Great Britain 50 Pence 8 Gram Silver Sherlock Holmes 160th Anniversary Proof
Silver Proof Commemorates Birth of the Great Detective’s Author
By all accounts, Arthur Conan Doyle was a fine doctor. Unfortunately for the field of medicine, his practice was not successful. To pass the time while waiting for patients, the young physician kept himself busy by writing stories. Using a former university professor who had a keen eye for detail as the basis for a character, Doyle created the fictional detective Sherlock Homes. Little did he know at the time, but Doyle had given life to one of the world’s most popular literary figures and would soon launch his writing career into a stratosphere few authors ever reached.
To pay tribute to the 160th anniversary of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s birth, Great Britain’s Royal Mint has released a unique 50-pence commemorative coin that highlights the amazing career of Sherlock Holmes. Struck in eight grams of 92.5% Sterling silver, the seven-sided coin features the profile of the Great Detective wearing his deerstalker cap and smoking his familiar curved pipe. Surrounding the image are the titles of some of the sleuth’s most popular adventures, including The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Speckled band, A Scandal in Bohemia, The Red Headed League, The Man with the Twisted Lip and many others.
Born on May 22, 1859, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle completed 60 Sherlock Holmes adventures – four novels and 56 short stories. While he wrote other fascinating tales, he will always be remembered for being the creator of Sherlock Holmes and his faithful companion, Dr. Watson. During the height of his literary powers, Doyle’s stories appeared in the Strand Magazine making it one of the most popular publications during Great Britain’s Victorian Era. Part of the popularity stemmed from famed illustrator Sidney Paget’s work that came to personify Holmes, Watson and their mysterious adventures amid the foggy gas-lit streets of London around their lodgings at 221B Baker Street.
Your 2019 Great Britain Sherlock Holmes 160th Anniversary Silver Coin will come in gorgeous Proof condition, meaning it was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields. It will also come displayed in its original mint packaging featuring a silhouette of the Great Detective with scenes from his career as illustrated by Sidney Paget from the pages of the Strand Magazine.
The low limited edition of just 7,500 of these fantastic proofs means there are far too few for every fan of Sherlock Holmes to have the opportunity to acquire one for their collections. The solution is elementary, my dear reader; click one to your cart right now while you still can!
- 160TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE GREAT DETECTIVE’S CREATOR – This unique silver proof pays tribute to the creator of Sherlock Holmes, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, on the 160th Anniversary of his birth. The proof highlights some of the Great Detective’s greatest adventures while the obverse features the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN BRITISH STERLING SILVER – Each 2019 Great Britain Sherlock Holmes 160th Anniversary Silver Coin is struck in eight grams of 92.5% Sterling silver.
- LEGAL TENDER IN GREAT BRITAIN – These 2019 Great Britain Sherlock Holmes 160th Anniversary Silver Coins are 50 pence legal tender in Great Britain.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 Great Britain Sherlock Holmes 160th Anniversary Silver Coin will come in gorgeous Proof condition, meaning it was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – The worldwide limited edition for this silver proof has been set at just 7,500.
You don’t need to locate a missing clue to find one of these coins. Simply order one today! But hurry, the game’s afoot and with the limited quantity available you don’t want to miss out!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Mint Name||The Royal Mint|
|Coin Weight||8 Grams - g|