Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 Tristan da Cunha One Laurel 1-oz Silver Proof
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $69.95 $67.89
After 400 Years, the Laurel Returns for the First Time in Silver
In the world of British coinage there is a tradition that dates back centuries: the portrait of the reigning monarch on circulating coinage face the opposite direction of the prior ruler. But in 1619, James I bucked that tradition with the introduction of the Laurel, which depicted him wearing a wreath upon his brow as he gazed in the opposite direction from previous coins bearing his image. Now, on the 400th anniversary of the original, the Laurel returns on a spectacular One-Ounce Silver Laurel – the first time in the coin’s 400-plus-year history that the Laurel has been struck in silver!
Like the original coins of James I, this modern Laurel depicts Queen Elizabeth II facing the opposite direction from her previous coins – a first for Great Britain’s popular reigning monarch, and a change made only for this particular release! Like King James I, Queen Elizabeth II wears the leafy laurel crown. The reverse design depicts a long cross over the Shield of the Royal Arms representing England, Scotland and Ireland.
Showing two sides of the monarch’s face was a brilliant idea for James I, who issued his laurel coins during a time when he was solidifying his power over the British Isles. Prior to becoming James I of England and Ireland, he was King James VI of Scotland. The son of Mary Queen of Scots, James I succeeded England’s Queen Elizabeth I. During his reign, the kingdoms of Scotland and England were individual sovereign states both ruled by James in personal union, so, in a sense, he really was a king with two faces!
For this special anniversary release, the Laurel denomination has been resurrected in 99.9% pure Silver. The designs are amazingly elegant – just as you would expect from a coin that was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields. This One Laurel coin is official legal tender in Tristan da Cunha, an island nation in the south Atlantic Ocean located midway between South America and Africa.
This Silver Laurel is a world-exclusive release. While the maximum worldwide limited edition for these coins is 2,019, they will be available for only a limited time! Order yours now!
- HISTORIC FIRST-EVER DESIGN – The design on these coins features Queen Elizabeth II facing the opposite direction from all previous coins – a first for the Great Britain’s reigning monarch and struck on the 400th anniversary of the first Laurel coin struck by King James I in 1619. The reverse depicts a long cross over the Shield of the Royal Arms.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – Each Silver Laurel was struck in one ounce of highly-pure 99.9% Silver.
- WORLD’S FIRST SILVER LAUREL – This release marks the first time in the coin’s history that the Laurel has been struck in silver – a history that dates back four centuries!
- LEGAL-TENDER COIN – These coins are One Laurel legal-tender in Tristan da Cunha, an island nation located in the south Atlantic Ocean.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 Tristan da Cunha One-Ounce Silver One Laurel Proof was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- EXCLUSIVE LIMITED EDITION – The maximum worldwide limited edition for this coin is only 2,019.
Crown your collection with the 2019 Tristan da Cunha One-Ounce Silver One Laurel Proof. These historic coins will not last for long. Don’t wait; click it to your cart right now!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Country||Tristan Da Cunha|
|Mint Name||Commonwealth Mint|
|Coin Weight||31.103 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|